I have been tasked with looking into this old chestnut again. My general approach is to work out what software would achieve our needs then select a device with the required ruggedness and spec. This time were coming at it from the reverse.

It has been suggested that we get some Windows 10, (as in desktop OS run on a rugged tablet) Rugged windows tablets. We have a device in-mind (MESA2) which looks very impressive however I have absolutely no knowledge of data collection software for windows platform. Previously all my forays have been either Android or windows mobile based. I'm aware a lot of desktop style software tends to focus on asset management style surveying for Local Authority. We do not typically have much use for long term asset management style software. 

In terms of usage we would mostly be looking to use the software for condition surveys on large rural or remote locations. The ability to plot tree potions with a reasonable degree of accuracy just so they can be found again and add attributes to something like and attribute table and export the resultant data to DXF SHP or similar is essential. It has also been floated that we try to source some software that has the flexibility to carry out BS5837 surveys. I am infinity dubious as to how effective a single piece of software may be in both scenarios. It may be the case that two separate approaches are used?

What ever the software, the output would need to be 100% customisable in order that it can fit into our current report presentation / style.

Any one with some thoughts here please do let me know. I've found that much of the software still on offer uses Windows mobile which is tragic in my view given how far things have move on since 1997.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Arborowen