Charcoal hand warmers

andy cobb

Just ordered a charcoal hand warmer thinking it'll help when I start felling after shooting season in Feb . 

Sick of having freezing cold hands for most of the day and can't justify a new saw with heated grips at the moment.

anybody on here have any experience or tips for reliable use, do they stand up to the rigours of forestry or am I gonna set myself on fire the first time I slip down a bank?

Charcoal handwarmers are pretty good but they smell. Not terrible but noticeable, co-workers will wonder what's smouldering.

Not sure how good they are at warming hands but will make you hot with it in your pocket.

Never understood getting cold hands while chainsawing as I am usually roasting.

32 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

Charcoal handwarmers are pretty good but they smell. Not terrible but noticeable, co-workers will wonder what's smouldering.

That's interesting my girlfriend's late mother used them but that was long ago, she couldn't move about much. I always assumed the reformed charcoal sticks were impregnated with saltpetre but I suppose other oxidants may be used now.

I made some sticks with scots pine in a bean tin and they burned for a while  but didn't last as well as the bought ones.

I thought about making one using and old metal spectacle case and some kaowool but lost interest as I wasn't in the habit of standing around in the cold.

9 hours ago, Peasgood said:

Not sure how good they are at warming hands but will make you hot with it in your pocket.

Never understood getting cold hands while chainsawing as I am usually roasting.

Never used to bother me but the last couple of years I've really started to suffer, don't know if it's just age or the beginnings of vwf or something.

once I come in from work it can take my fingers a couple of hours to feel normL again.

16 hours ago, andy cobb said:

Would love to, but need to save the pennies to pay for new (to me) tractor in January.

have been tempted by a couple of 346 xpg' s on the bay though

You will only use one once on a frosty or wet morning, then wonder why you never had one before ! K