helmet coms - how do they work ??

Secretarb

morning all

I recently had a training day with a chap called Simon Scotting  and we ended up chatting about helmet intercom.

He mentioned for around £70 you can buy bluetooth intercoms for our style of helmets and the results were amazing. so this got me thinking, how do they work?

Do you need your bluetooth phone on you at all times to make it work ? Or are the devices them selves bluetooth? not really keen on carrying my phone around the tree with me.

Has anyone got any past experience of the slightly cheaper ones ? How many can you link up together ?

I have heard mainly good things about helmet intercoms and would love to jump on the band wagon but just would like some feed back from anyone who has used them and maybe some pics ?

Thanks  

Mine work fine...the problem is, as soon as the climber gets up the tree, he picks up every taxi driver and Polish lorry driver in England...frequency changes every 5 minutes mean we end up switching off and gobbing off!

thanks for the reply's everyone.

I think this will be a trial period for the headsets, so we have to try and keep it cheap n cheerful for now. I hope they are as good as everyone is saying. 

Has anyone got any pics maybe, of how they set theirs up ? wire configs and such ?

thanks