sheffield trees

daveatdave

17 minutes ago, wjotner said:

Did you really just go to my website to find something to have a go at me

Er, no....  

I followed the link YOU posted in your signature block - out of interest.  

It's a fairly safe assumption, I would have thought, that if someone posts a link to their website they are INVITING people to view it.  

Having done so.....

I was 'amused' to see the quote previously posted.  

No "high horse", no threat to democracy, just the freedom to express an opinion - you know, that which you hold so dear (apparently.) 

No biggy.  

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 21:42, wjotner said:

The protesters represent a small but very vocal minority in Sheffield. Most of whom are liberal house wives and retirees and trust fund kids who have too much time on their hands and need a cause to take up their time standing around on the street yelling abuse and getting in the way of legitimate tree maintenance work.

I've heard of lots of incidents where local residents who want the trees replaced getting into strong and long arguments with protesters who weren't local. On one street, so many of the residents turned out to argue with protesters as they had all petitioned to have their over large and poor conditioned trees removed that the protesters eventually gave up and left the tree surgeons to get on with it.

There's plenty of tree surgeons out there that just hear about this on the grapevine or on media and want to pass judgement - but i know guys who've worked on this contract. They're not taking part in a mindlessly destructive deforestation of Sheffield. The tree felling is just a part of a major and long overdue overhaul of the deteriorating, aging and badly maintained tree stock on Sheffield's highways. Most of the trees are getting replaced. Apparently, most of the trees getting felled are crappy overlarge ash, lime and cherry pulling up pavements and tarmac and that have been lopped/topped in past decades then left to regrow out of control with decay forming in the large old wounds - barely worth saving.

Having been up to Sheffield on numerous occasions now to see the trees being felled I can tell you now that there are hundreds of perfectly healthy trees being felled for minimal surface damage. I would suggest that anybody with an interest in what is going on up there go and take a look for themselves and then  form their own  opinion.

Edited by sean
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sean said:

Having been up to Sheffield on numerous occasions now to see the trees being felled I can tell you now that there are hundreds of perfectly healthy trees being felled for minimal surface damage. I would suggest that anybody with an interest in what is going on up there go and take a look for themselves and then  form their own  opinion.

I must agree that although i think the overall plan of replacing the inferior tree stock and those causing a lot of damage is reasonable, I have seen some decent trees including some nice if slightly too large London Planes come down, and that was a bit of a shame. 

Edited by wjotner

Its amazing that this has happened in Sheffield - then you go down the road to Herfordshire n see stacks of dead / dangerous / highways hazard trees untouched - and I mean years behind ! K

( An no ! I would not touch a contentious contract such as this with a carbon fibre fully extendable bargepole - the grief an extra manning it takes is never worth the candle - I mean one bad fell and you might as well call yrself ' B tree experts ' ;) )

• Like 1

Good on the protesters (that wasn’t easy to say), the fact these trees are marked for removal is ridiculous. If we don’t get a grip on removing mature trees we’re going to find ourselves in a bad position tree wise in the not to distant future. These trees are monuments to our fallen too.

• Like 2