sheffield trees

daveatdave

3 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Sorry if my reply came across as arsey :$  The tree stock should have been effectively managed over the last two decades. All that is going on now is as a result of this along with a (poor) attempt to play catch up and do a load of tree replacements over a short period of time.

I don't know how, within the confines of the PFI, the tree stock can be managed differently and imagine that Ameys targets are more about efficiency and profit than anything else. But, it's a business venture so is it realistic to expect anything less?

There may be some good aspects of the farce that it's rapidly become, raising the importance of urban trees generally and encouraging other LAs to very carefully look at how they are and will manage their own stocks. 

Unfortunately on the health front, things have taken a worrying reversal this week. I'll post in that thread later..

I agree with what you're saying.  It it a case of making the best of a bad situation.

Keep ahad mate. : Translation - don't let the bastard grind you down.   I wish you well Gary.

To my knowledge there are also a lot of plane trees being felled in London , so this leads me to think that our big cities are undertaking felling of mature trees for some hyped up reasons and giving the contracts to massive company’s like Amey there is something wrong about this picture , I will say no more being an old punk rocker I bet you can guess where I stand but then again maybe not ,our towns and cities would be even sadder places if we let all the mature trees get felled. 

Cheers Mark

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

Lots of ongoing issues with Massaria (Sp?) but Mr Humphries is the man with the info on that.

Wasn't there something recently about felling a load of Planes to provide a temp. contractors yard in a London Square, to do with Transport for London? That came across as badly thought out.

Oddly enough there appears to have been a reduction in Massaria effected branches across the capital so far this year, possibly to do with this winters cold/wet climate.

I haven't noticed an increase in 'London Plane' felling across the boroughs but cyclical reduction/pollarding is still being carried out to reduce subsidence claims.

Let's hope we don't get Ceratocystis (Plane Wilt) from the continent, because if (and when) we do we'll see a City treescape transformed over night like in the towns and landscape across France, Italy and Switzerland where they have it.

Not entirely sure TfL/London square issue your referring to Gary?

Finsbury Circus & the Crossrail?

6 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Quite simply because I don't think people should just sit back and let things go on if they feel passionate about the situation.

If these people can get their voices heard they may be able to put a stop to what they view has something very important to them.

Each to their own, mind.

I get that but it’s not going to stop or change what’s happening it’s adding to the cost and hurting people in the process. Injuries and arrests! Really is it worth that when the outcome of the tree will stay the same. 

Choosing your battles comes to mind. 

9 minutes ago, WesD said:

I get that but it’s not going to stop or change what’s happening it’s adding to the cost and hurting people in the process. Injuries and arrests! Really is it worth that when the outcome of the tree will stay the same. 

Choosing your battles comes to mind. 

People said a similar sort of thing about the poll tax protest, which was abolished only a couple of years after its introduction.

It's inevitable that people will get hurt and arrested unfortunately. Breaching the peace is an easy nick for the police. Both sides will have people who go over top.

We all choose whether we want to protest, or not. And we all aren't going to agree on what we protest against.

Like I said, each to their own.

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

People said a similar sort of thing about the poll tax protest, which was abolished only a couple of years after its introduction.

It's inevitable that people will get hurt and arrested unfortunately. Breaching the peace is an easy nick for the police. Both sides will have people who go over top.

We all choose whether we want to protest, or not. And we all aren't going to agree on what we protest against.

Like I said, each to their own.

Certainly is and the proof will be in the pudding. I think the works will commence come what may. 

Frankly am appalled by it - on the LA and the contractors ( I worked with Darren back in the day ) an some of the protest , if those figures on felling are ultimately correct, that is Not management, that's economic convenience fr the council. K

• Like 1

On 23/03/2018 at 08:15, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It's an inherently, systemically, irreversibly flawed concept Wes.  Using the "we can't change it because it's 'contracted'" cop out is just that, a cop out (by the people responsible for local government) and a denial to accept that we make mistakes.  When mistakes are made, they should be taken at face value, analysed and learnt from.  Not buried, excused and blindly continued with.  

This is a colossal balls up by the person(s) responsible for establishing the concept and then issuing the ITT.

Yes, contractors will bid for contracts and expect to fulfil the terms of the contract and be paid what's due.  But (on this scale) they also have corporate moral, environmental and shareholder responsibilities to consider.  The adverse PR that this is attracting will be doing the company image no good at all.  

The council should recognise it's error, the senior management at Amey should have foreseen the complications and between them, it should have been changed well before it got to this stage.

Somebody needs to have the moral courage to say STOP.  Let's rethink this.

I'm by no means a 'career protester' and there may be some itinerant, anarchists in the mix that are just using this as the protest of choice for this week, but that's not the main stay of the group from what I can see.  This is regular, ordinary people kicking off about scandalously inept and arrogant council destruction of an invaluable public asset.

The boys and girls on the tools are getting a tough time and that's not entirely fair but where are the big kahoona's in all this?

Where are the Tree Council, the NT, the FC, the AA?  Way too quiet.  Where is Corbyn?  Where is Sue Hayman?  Gove has put Corbyn to shame on this one. 

Stop protesting and the big kahoona's quietly get paid and move on to the next project...  It's wrong, everyone can see it's wrong.  

(typing at the same time Gary...  Must get to work!!)

Gove’s been reading our posts on AT!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43492887