sheffield trees

daveatdave

3 hours ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

Some of you may think the guy is a moron but I find it interesting that this has been shared widely on facebook and other forums.  Although his actions may appear to be stupid, he has single handedly brought the plight of trees in Sheffield to the attention of a wider audience.  Whilst the particular trees shown in this video may not be memorial trees there are plenty of other trees that are and which a scheduled for felling. There are many Sheffield residents that are aggrieved by the felling of perfectly healthy and commemorative trees in their city.  Whilst their protests should be directed at local government the protestors feel they are not being heard so instead take direct action.

I am sure there are some members of this forum who feel the protester who stood in front of the procession of tanks in Tiananmen Square was also a moron. 

There was an idiot in the scene, it was the neanderthal at the stem end of the brash still trying to wrestle it out with someone clinging to it.  He bears some responsibility, but not as much as the team leader / manager that should have been on top of the situation.     

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

There was an idiot in the scene, it was the neanderthal at the stem end of the brash still trying to wrestle it out with someone clinging to it.  He bears some responsibility, but not as much as the team leader / manager that should have been on top of the situation.     

Far to many witnesses and cameras for team leader to take possibly the most appropriate action;)

Some of you may think the guy is a moron but I find it interesting that this has been shared widely on facebook and other forums.  Although his actions may appear to be stupid, he has single handedly brought the plight of trees in Sheffield to the attention of a wider audience.  Whilst the particular trees shown in this video may not be memorial trees there are plenty of other trees that are and which a scheduled for felling. There are many Sheffield residents that are aggrieved by the felling of perfectly healthy and commemorative trees in their city.  Whilst their protests should be directed at local government the protestors feel they are not being heard so instead take direct action.
I am sure there are some members of this forum who feel the protester who stood in front of the procession of tanks in Tiananmen Square was also a moron. 

Are you really comparing Tiananmen Square to chopping a few Street trees down?

You see, this is half the problem.  The protestors, like you, think that they are right and that's that. 

In this case Gary what's the justification? The council ignored the residents of the street, you have to admit that losing an avenue of mature trees in a time when planting trees by councils is at an all time low is really not a good thing.

3 minutes ago, Marula said:

In this case Gary what's the justification? The council ignored the residents of the street, you have to admit that losing an avenue of mature trees in a time when planting trees by councils is at an all time low is really not a good thing.

When will be a good time? It is never going to be a good thing but it will happen. 

Im not sure why people choose a forum primarily used by Tree surgeons to try and get justification on stopping people taking trees down. 

It is a perfect oxymoron if ever I have seen one. 

When will be a good time? It is never going to be a good thing but it will happen. 

Im not sure why people choose a forum primarily used by Tree surgeons to try and get justification on stopping people taking trees down. 

I'm not trying to stop anyone, I just support the stopping of felling these specific trees in this specific case, or alternatively a planned Fell with a planting plan over many years.

So any arborist who doesn't feel the need to Fell everything in side should find a different platform? Interesting.

Probably some folk think it's quite an important issue and we are involved in that line of work. Quite interesting for us to think about and discuss it I would say!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, billpierce said:

Probably some folk think it's quite an important issue and we are involved in that line of work. Quite interesting for us to think about and discuss it I would say!

Fair enough but the work will still happen. 

On the countryfile video it states Sheffield has the highest amount of trees over any other city. Although this could have been handled better probability says  there’s more chance of work needed to be done on trees or trees to be removed. 

Would the residents of sheffield pay more council tax in order to keep the trees? 

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Can you really, reasonably, compare tree protesters to the fellow at Tiananmen Square?

The point I was trying to make, probably badly, was that protesters stunts tend to get people's attention focused on their cause no matter how idiotic or misguided they might seem.  Whether it be standing in front of tanks, hanging from Buckingham Palace in a Batman suit, or hanging onto branches due to be fed into a chipper.  I am neither condemning or condoning the individual actions just pointing out that we are all talking about it. So his stunt has achieved something. No?

• Like 1