sheffield trees

daveatdave

Some of you may think the guy is a moron but I find it interesting that this has been shared widely on facebook and other forums.  Although his actions may appear to be stupid, he has single handedly brought the plight of trees in Sheffield to the attention of a wider audience.  Whilst the particular trees shown in this video may not be memorial trees there are plenty of other trees that are and which a scheduled for felling. There are many Sheffield residents that are aggrieved by the felling of perfectly healthy and commemorative trees in their city.  Whilst their protests should be directed at local government the protestors feel they are not being heard so instead take direct action.

I am sure there are some members of this forum who feel the protester who stood in front of the procession of tanks in Tiananmen Square was also a moron. 

Edited by Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
  • Like 1

Hello to everybody...

Since August 2017 this year, I have been creating a public record of events in the form of small video productions. They depict the ongoing controversial tree feelings happening in Sheffield to date. I am very keen to hear from any Arboriculturists with their views regarding how they think their industry might be affected, when actions of this nature by Sheffield City Council go ahead. Although some of the videos I have put online may look to be a little biased, I can assure you that my intention is to give everybody an equal opportunity to have their say and put their point across, but unfortunately some videos have ended up looking like my intention is not as intended, for which on my part, if I have offended anybody, I sincerly apologise as it was not my intention in the first place and I can assure you, it is not my intention as time goes by...! Although I have highlighted in the past to all concerned in the videos that their points of view are important, I do believe and understand their concerns for whatever they might be, as to why they have chosen not to speak with reference to what they might want to say if anything at all...! Therefore I am extending my offer to any Arboriculturists as well as those I continue to encounter on a weekly basis. However, what I would like to say now is that each and every individual including myself, must accept responsibility for their own actions, even more so in the presence of a video recording camera...!

Are you an Arboriculturist working in Sheffield now or have been and do you want to share your views?

I would be very interested in knowing your views either on hear or by a private message if anonymity is your preference. You can message me directly on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/BANAMAN.Productions/

As an Arboriculturist, have you been subject to any threats or violence either physically or verbally while working on the PFI contract in Sheffield?

Have you witnessed any threats or violence either physically or verbally while working on the PFI contract in Sheffield?

As any aspect of your job working on the PFI contract in Sheffield affected you in any way at home or at work?

Does your future work depend on keeping as many healthy street trees as possible?

If you are an Arboriculturist in another part of the country not working on the PFI contract in Sheffield, I would also be interested in your views.

Have you been following what is happening in Sheffield regarding the current ongoing tree situation and want to share your view?

Does your future work depend on keeping as many healthy street trees as possible in our city's towns and villages?

How would you feel if you had to endure what the Arboriculturists working on the PFI contract in Sheffield?

If you would like to see a public record of events uploaded to date, please click the youtube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5IXghZwEoqj61jjjQqW3Q/videos

15 hours ago, Marula said:

Good on the protesters (that wasn’t easy to say), the fact these trees are marked for removal is ridiculous. If we don’t get a grip on removing mature trees we’re going to find ourselves in a bad position tree wise in the not to distant future. These trees are monuments to our fallen too.

that was easier for you to say than it should have been....whatever the situation or argument going on here , there is no excuse for these kind of actions . the bloke is an utter idiot !!!

But it's not about that specific tree, the guy in question said he did it because he knew as long as the crew were wrapped up dealing with him then no other tree would come down. The residents protested the trees coming down legally in multiple meetings and a fat cat in the council went ahead and drew up a nice contract to have the work done anyway. If this is what must be done to save these trees then so be it. At what point do we stop cutting g down mature trees in this country? Especially ones that are decent avenue trees like these.
You are a ?just like the ? In the video

The trees are coming out, that protester is giving something else for the tree lads to think about. The industry is dangerous enough without idiots jumping all over the brash, WHEN someone gets hurt/injured because of the interference who’s fault will it be?

Protests should be done in an amicable manner, not by physical means, by trying to save a tree he may well harm a human how would the liberals look at that?

Is that what we now deem as ok? 

I personally think there is plenty more important thing's those liberal ? could be doing with there time than trying to stop tree work happening that is going to happen no matter how many idiots hang onto brash on the way to the chipper it will still get chipped and the trees will still keep coming down !! They should go to the local parks and volunteer there time and plant some more trees or pick some litter up [emoji109]

• Like 2

big trees look much nicer than little trees, they show an impressive part of nature, you shouldnt have to travel to a stately home or public woodland to see the big trees, these protesters know it takes decades to get a nice leafy avenue, all the crap the council spends money on, all the healthy big trees could have been trimmed regularly.

Re the violence, if people feel they are helpless and being crushed by a big state machine they dont like - anyone can choose to use violence to achieve an end. In the old days the various kings of England, some of them only got into power by a lot of murdering

big trees look much nicer than little trees, they show an impressive part of nature, you shouldnt have to travel to a stately home or public woodland to see the big trees, these protesters know it takes decades to get a nice leafy avenue, all the crap the council spends money on, all the healthy big trees could have been trimmed regularly.
Re the violence, if people feel they are helpless and being crushed by a big state machine they dont like - anyone can choose to use violence to achieve an end. In the old days the various kings of England, some of them only got into power by a lot of murdering
O dear

3 hours ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

Some of you may think the guy is a moron but I find it interesting that this has been shared widely on facebook and other forums.  Although his actions may appear to be stupid, he has single handedly brought the plight of trees in Sheffield to the attention of a wider audience.  Whilst the particular trees shown in this video may not be memorial trees there are plenty of other trees that are and which a scheduled for felling. There are many Sheffield residents that are aggrieved by the felling of perfectly healthy and commemorative trees in their city.  Whilst their protests should be directed at local government the protestors feel they are not being heard so instead take direct action.

I am sure there are some members of this forum who feel the protester who stood in front of the procession of tanks in Tiananmen Square was also a moron. 

Can you really, reasonably, compare tree protestors to the fellow at Tiananmen Square?

Can we expect more widespread protest against the loss of ancient woodland for new HS rail links, and other new transport networks. Or is Sheffield a case of Not in my back yard? Where were all these protestors over the last twenty years when Sheffield cut tree budgets and failed to adequately manage their tree stock. 

IMO opinion, Sheffield’s management is appalling and has been for many years, but much the same can be said, to varying extents about many LAs. 

Another thing I find odd about some people on here, is that they will fell and top decent trees cos if they don’t someone else will/bills to pay etc and then turn around and say Sheffield shouldn’t. 

Let Sheffield get on with it now, learn from it and when your LA announces an intention to enter a PFI do something about it to prevent a reoccurrence in your town

• Like 2