sheffield trees

daveatdave

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Yep def not ok threatening people or families over this. Out of order.

However I also do not buy the "they told me to do it" attitude. Ultimately we are all responsible for our actions. If you want to go and cut a load of trees people are up in arms about that's fine with me, but don't expect then to thank you for it.

If an employee feels so strongly that the task he is instructed to do is wrong, he’s always the option of finding work elsewhere.

Who is claiming ‘I was told to do it “as a defence? I haven’t seen any attributed quotes of this and suspect that the lads on tools have a far better understanding of the decades of neglect in Sheffield and why some/a lot/ most of this work is going on.

No one can reasonably expect to go and fell trees and to please everyone, everyday. You can empathise with a differing opinion and not expect thanks, but definitely not have to tolerate threats and intimidation

whats happening in Sheffield pales into insignificance compared to all the chainsaw business in the Amazon basin, everyones got to earn a living, bit like when some Irish got violent  with English squadies over there, the poor old squadies were only following orders, going about their lawful business. The Sheffield protesters are like a tree hugger version of the IRA - maybe some of them will end up on hunger strike in prison. Why can't they just go to an arboretum like everyone one else.

Edited by tree-fancier123

9 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Oh, OK, it must all be good then....

My reaction to that post too Kevin. I cannot understand why some residents are getting so worked up about it, can you? and why consultants like Mr Barrell have spoken out about it.  They must all be uneducated and ill-informed 9_9.

11 hours ago, Khriss said:

'I vos only followink orders ' ( Nuremburg defense ) will not cut it - sadly the guys chopping down aint made the decisions but will bear the brunt of this farce of tree management contract , K

Comparing the murder of 7 million Jewish people to the felling of trees in Sheffield is completely idiotic and frankly embarrassing, you should hold your head in shame

38 minutes ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

My reaction to that post too Kevin. I cannot understand why some residents are getting so worked up about it, can you? and why consultants like Mr Barrell have spoken out about it.  They must all be uneducated and ill-informed 9_9.

To be fair, the thread is about early starts and anonymity of the staff. 

The rights and wrongs of SCC and Ameys day to day decisions are an entirely different subject. 

Residents and STAG have made their points well known, taken matters to the High Courts and basically lost. Can't blame them for trying. The whole situation is far from perfect or a shining example of PR, but it's done. 

Will there be similar PFIs in other cities? Probably.

Will they be better written and managed, with public consultations prior to them being awarded? You'd hope so, but...

Will the importance of trees in the urban environment be recognised, continually managed, efficiently funded etc to prevent a requirement, perceived or otherwise, to remove such a large percentage of canopy cover over such a short period of time, as is happening in Sheffield? Not a chance!

A local authority near here undertook an I-Tree survey this year, to establish a value of the boroughs tree stock. Great, a financial figure for the bean counters to secure funding to manage the asset. 

Fortnight ago the tree tree team were told they will probably be redundant before Easter. All works going out to private companies, with a lower annual budget than currently. It's likely that this budget won't go any further than to pay for emergency works each year. Way to go!!

Sheffield is the first big media circus event, it won't be the last. 

Edited by Gary Prentice

1 hour ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

It wasn't my first draft reply, but I am trying to be less "direct!"  Maybe it's the Season, it won't last, never does....  :$

• Like 1