What winter tyres are best for a Navara NP300?

Steve Bullman

7 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Lethal? Really?

Aftermarket studs fitted to hard compound summer tyres maybe, but quality studded winter tyres are certainly not "lethal" 

I live in SE England so we have roads that very occasionally have packed snow but most of the time they are salted and just wet. Studded 750x16 on a Land Rover had less grip than standard on a wet road. Lethal was probably a poor word to use.  We had to take them out as I believe they are unlawful in UK on the public highway.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/245-70-16-115Q-KUMHO-MT51-MUD-TERRAIN-TYRES-X-4-DELIVERED-PRICE/192394532096?epid=2041513900&hash=item2ccb9b9500:g:7Q8AAOSwB09YJucM

I run these. I class them as an aggressive all terrain as they seem to perform as a good all-rounder. Never got on with "normal" AT tyres, as to me, they don't perform that well on road and are useless off road. Not a fan of BF ATs, get them off of any vehicle I have bought with them on. Slide around in the wet on the road and turn to slicks in the mud.

Interesting thread. I've run General Grabber AT2s on my small 4x4 for 7 years now and not really had a problem. New they were fine in the snow, although I tended to avoid driving in snow and ice as there were too many other people skidding all over the place.

They've been fine on wet and very muddy/slurry covered roads and have only just started to struggle on very muddy tracks due to wear. They've don't do motorway miles and are narrow at 225/70 R15.

Sorry, not much help for the original question.