What winter tyres are best for a Navara NP300?

Steve Bullman

25 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Like driving on an ice rink, and its not just in the snow either.  Even wet days it feels like its going to skid out at relatively low speeds

Must admit to not being impressed mine on wet slippy roads. Back steps out at the drop of hat on my Hilux. Odd though as had the same tyres on my Dmax and that behaved much better. Wonder if they do different compounds of the same basic tyre? Only other thought is they get harder with age and subsequently less supple. 

Got winter tyres on our Volvo and they are superb in the wet and ice. We leave them on all the year round as the lanes are normally wet from run off or rain.

I have tried coopers, general grabbers & on BFGs now. The coopers got hard after doing some motorway miles & stopped gripping in the cold & wet. They performed adequately off road. The generals were an improvement, but still not great in the wet. BFG's are a bit noisy at higher speeds, but they are the best all round tyres I have found for my needs. I do tow a lot & will be off road & on dirt tracks a couple of times a week - no problems 

25 minutes ago, Ferguson system said:

I can recommend Nokian nordman suv with studs.

Not legal on public roads here in UK are they?

My only experience of studs is removing them all from ex NATO 750 x16 and 900x 15?? after a play and a blasted tedious job it was too. about 50 in each tyre.

Studs may be fine on ice but not much better in fresh snow and lethal on wet tarmac.

Edited by openspaceman