Industry Survey of Salaries in UK Arb

John Hancock

Hello all!

I’m carrying out a survey of typical salaries paid to UK Arborists at different levels (1 – 5). The survey is for a research paper I’m doing as part of a teaching qualification. As many of you know I hung up my chainsaw boot in favour of teaching would-be Arbs of the future. It’s becoming more evident that Colleges are struggling to recruit teaching and technical staff because the salaries have not kept up with industry, in short, I can earn more money feeding brash through a chipper than teaching students at levels 2, 3 and foundation degree.

Could I ask business owners to complete the following survey and comment where prompted?  Your help would be greatly appreciated!

The survey can be found by clicking the following link -

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/FQW9XQB

its influenced by the industry because if the collages will not pay enough to staff they cant recruit good staff then the quality of teaching isn't high enough and the students leaving the collage are not valued by industry employers looking for staff.

8 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Ummmm....  I couldn't do the back button at the end of the survey and the questions finished before the career options finished...  Did the survey top out at 31k?  

That could be considered as indicative of an undervaluing of the industry....

Yes, 31k and above was the max, thanks for your input :)

1 hour ago, Pete Mctree said:

I cannot see how your wage as a lecturer, is tied to the industry you teach. How does it compare to other teaching posts with similarly qualified staff?

Hi Pete,

In order to get good staff you need to draw from industry, in order to draw from industry, you need to be able to offer an equivalent (or very near) salary. Once you find good staff, you need to be able to retain them, we all know, on the whole, it's an enjoyable industry, it's all too easy for staff to leave and re-join.