New member after some advice-chipper and man viable business?

Yeti2018

33 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

What’s your background yeti? 

Work for a commercial landlord as a maintenace operative for the last 9 months, been very lucky in buying some property in the past which has done ok and will fund a decent home on the coast. Truth be told, won't find another job as relaxed as the one I'm in now with paye and an ok salary of £25k a year. Maybe I'm selling myself too short, just worried about starting over again. The wife is dead set on going, we live in south London which has gone to the pits unless your earning big bucks and can afford the nice house and lifestyle that goes with a large London salary. We've had an offer on a nice 4 bedroom detached home with 50ft wide by 100ft garden which we couldn't dream of in London. It's on a main road but only a 5 min walk to the beach. Lifestyle seems great for kids, beach life etc I'm just worried about getting another job or starting up on my own with no qualified skill set or experience. There's enough room at the side of the house to either have a big garage for machinery or I can gate the side off and have the machinery out the back of the house which as it has a large garden won't feel like it's full up with the machinery. 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2017 at 23:12, Matthew Storrs said:

All I will say is don’t waste £25k on a van. It will depreciate very quickly and it’s not really the van that’s earning you the money- you can buy a decent tipper/truck or whatever to carry you, tools and machine around. £6-8k will get you something nice and tidy and put the money saved towards the machine- or leave in the bank to cover any eventualities that may crop up.

For what it’s worth any fool can jump in and spend lots of money- you would be better off spending a big of time getting to know your market by working in it and developing contacts etc and see where it leads you knowing that you have the capital waiting when the time is right.

Absolutely agree. Its a waste of money and unnecessary- most tree surgeons I have subbed for don't spend loads on vehicles, worry about that 10 years down the line with a VAT band income

22 hours ago, Gray git said:

Evening Mr shires, long time no see...
Hope your well.
You know me, just nurturing my state of debt a bit more emoji12.png
Joking aside its a really good combination, just need to find time to build a light alloy body for her to increase legal payload emoji56.png

Good Evening john...only pulling your leg buddy,,am very well and hope you and your family are all well,,,i for one are grateful for guys like you with all the big gear to do the bigger jobs as it leaves all the smaller jobs for us little guys ?Have Good xmas☃️?And see you next year at the Arb Show and don't forget it's APF time 2018

• 1 month later...

So, just an update guys. A vacancy has come up where I want to move to and work has agreed to let me take it so it looks like I can now move and keep my maintenance job. Happy days! On another good note, the company paid for all of the maintenance guys to do the PA1 and PA6 weedkilling course which I’ve just done and I’m very pleased to say I’ll be doing my cs30/31 at the end of the month. So it’s a win win as I get to keep my current job and I’m also adding new skills/tickets for the future. I think il get the stump grinder and chipper tickets in my own time and expense so that all I’m missing is the climbing which I doubt il do as I’m not too good with heights. Anyhow, thanks for all the previous advice, some really good replies and also a great forum which I enjoy coming to. Cheers all ??

Edited by Yeti2018
  • Like 1