Teleporter Splitter

Billhook

It seems as though all the elements are there to make a great splitter.   Heavy duty long ram, engine power and hydraulic flow , cab and seat and controls

Has anyone converted one by fixing a cradle for the log on the front of the machine and  then mounting an axe on the front plate of the boom and split the log by retracting the ram.  

An additional benefit would be the ease of lifting heavy logs into position.

Probably too simple, like me!

There was a commercial one for sale some years ago,  basically it had a de limber mechanism to roll a log log through the machine,  chainsaw to cut to length and splitter in one lump.  I thought it was pretty slow.

One other thing is that I doubt most teleporters would have the hydraulic capacity and the necessary oil cooling to run something like that continually.   

A

10 hours ago, Alycidon said:

There was a commercial one for sale some years ago,  basically it had a de limber mechanism to roll a log log through the machine,  chainsaw to cut to length and splitter in one lump.  I thought it was pretty slow.

One other thing is that I doubt most teleporters would have the hydraulic capacity and the necessary oil cooling to run something like that continually.   

A

I cannot see why flow and cooling would be a problem as it would not be running a hydraulic motor and these machines are designed to spend all day lifting heavy loads in difficult conditions.

I have a need to very occasionally split a large tree trunk, that I cannot put through the 12 inch capacity of the Palax Combi.  At the moment this means tedious cutting into rings and splitting with an axe.  So rather than do the ringing

and paying for a large hydraulic splitter , I was thinking of building a log cradle at ground level and weld a large static knife at one end.  (I have several old worn dozer blades kicking about)

I could chain the chassis of the teleporter to the log cradle and then push a log using the full pushing force of the ram and hydraulics through the knife.  The boom extends out over three metres so I can split those sort of lengths which I could then put through the Palax.

In fact there would be no limit to the length of the log as you could just have a longer chain which could be shortened with shackles as necessary.   I am fairly confident that the machine has a lot of pushing power as it easily can push its own eight ton weight out of a sticky hole when stuck.

It would be quite simple to unhook the chain after splitting  to use the teleporter to pick up the pieces for re-splitting or taking over to the Palax.

Watch this space!  It could be another of my youtube fails!

Thanks for the thought, but that splitter is really no different to the one on the Palax in terms of length, maybe a bit more diameter.

What I am hoping for is the that the Teleporter will have enough ram pressure in the telescopic boom to push a large tree trunk through a static knife  The knife being  concreted into the ground and also attached to the teleporter chassis with chains

The problem with the teleporter and massive logs, is not the hydraulics but grip/gravity/friction.

My teleporter, when you put it up against a solid object and extend the boom, it just pushes itself backwards as the boom extends. So you would have to park the teleporter with a solid object behind it and the log solidly fixed in front of it. Then the winner will be which solid object is more solid, or the teleporter will break! One of those three things will occur! 

On 12/12/2017 at 17:24, Chalgravesteve said:

The problem with the teleporter and massive logs, is not the hydraulics but grip/gravity/friction.

My teleporter, when you put it up against a solid object and extend the boom, it just pushes itself backwards as the boom extends. So you would have to park the teleporter with a solid object behind it and the log solidly fixed in front of it. Then the winner will be which solid object is more solid, or the teleporter will break! One of those three things will occur! 

I was thinking of post hole followed by the sharpened dozer blade welded inside a length of box section.  Put the box section into the ground and concrete around leaving the sharpened blade sticking up vertically

At the base of the blade at ground level I would weld another short stout bit of steel to hold a heavy duty chain in position,

Take  two lengths of chain back to the teleporter either side of the log and fasten them to the chassis with shackles.

The advantage of the chain is that you can try and split any length of log by just shortening the chain.

I only need to do this occasionally to split it down to a 12  inch size that will go through the Palax processor.

Something should give way, it is a question of what!   It may help to weld a short sharp leading triangle on the knife just to start opening up the log.

By the way I was trying to work out the tonnage force of the teleporter ram extending in the same way that log splitters are categorised.  Is there a formula?  The Matbro 270 TS certainly seems to be very powerful pushing itself out of deep wet holes when stuck.

I'm not sure that having a sharpened blade pointing vertically is a very good idea! If you can do all that welding and post holes, then build the same frame as the youtube video!

Any reasonable size hydraulic ram will work,  you just need a long ram which gives you a long stroke to push a big log so that it splits completely. If you can lock down the teleporter there is no reason why it shouldn't work, on the boom extension, but a teleporter has multiple rams for the bucket tip and the boom lift. I think you run the risk of bending these if the log doesn't split/push straight. If the log starts to lift or twist then you are exerting huge forces in a direction you were not intending. Bending one of the other rams is a "king expensive mistake. 

I would be looking to get a single ram exactly as the video, fix it into place so it pushes square. The risk of bending that ram is still there to a point, but you only have to look at one ram whilst its working. If it goes off line you stop. 

An equation for you on calculating ram pressure. This gives you the force in PSI. I think you divide by 2000 and that gives you push pressure in tonnes. 

Pressure = force (in pounds)/Area (square inches) We describe pressure as: X amount of PSI, Example: A round rod 1 1/8 inches in diameter has about 1 square inch of surface if stood on one end. Pushing with a force of 10 lbs downward, we would be exerting a pressure of 10 lbs per square inch (10 PSI). Now suppose we exerted the same downward 10 lb force on a round rod with a diameter of .18 inches, now we have 400 PSI.

Let’s do the math. A=R² x TT (Area of a circle in square inches equals: radius of the circle squared, times TT), TT=3.14.

Example: 1 1/8 ÷ 2 = .562 x .562 x 3.14 = .99 or almost 1 sq. inch.

Continuing with the rod which is about 3/16 in diameter, 3/16 =.188 ÷ 2 =.094 x .094 x 3.14 = .025 Square inches. Pounds ÷ Square Inches = PSI; in this case: 10 ÷ .025 = 400 PSI.

Putting pressure to practical use: One of the simplest hydraulic systems is the common hydraulic car jack. It contains a reservoir, a pump, a linear actuator and a valve; it does not however contain a prime mover (a motor or engine), our arms and hands become the prime mover or power by which we “jack up our car.” Fig. 1 Reciprocating Pump

How does this happen? You can see by the drawing (Fig. 1) that when we push the small 3/16″ plunger down we are creating 400 PSI of pressure under the linear actuator (piston and push rod). In the example above, we showed that a 1 1/8 piston has an area of about 1 square inch. One square inch x 400 PSI = 400 pounds of lift. Now push the 3/16″ plunger down with a force of 50 pounds and we have the capacity to lift a weight equal to 2,000 pounds. However, we must be patient with the process as the 3/16 inch plunger will not displace very much oil with each stroke and therefore many strokes are required to lift the weight up, but we are able to do so because of the mechanical advantage the jack provides for us.Volume is a function of area x distance traveled for linear actuators.

Example: the area in square inches for the 3/16″ plunger is .025 sq. inches x 1/2″ of stroke, that equals .125 cubic inches of oil pumped per stroke of the jack handle. Our 3/16″ plunger is a fraction of the size of the 1 1/8″ piston in square inch area and therefore the piston will only move a fraction of the distance that the 3/16″ plunger strokes.

Which explains why we must operate the jack handle fast and furious if we want to raise the car in a hurry.

pressure-236x300.gif