Loading big wood..Domestic arb..

benedmonds

12 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Just a quick question from the perspective of a log seller who occasionally does some labouring for arborists. What do you guys do with these big lumps back in the yard? If they are going for logs one day why not ring them up to length there and then? I can see it makes the day longer and more mess but the wood is now easy to move by hand and cutting it up is a job that would need doing sooner or later anyway. 

Its the mess that is half the issue. Back at the yard the mess is not important. Plus we split into billets and process with a bench saw and to be honest we have 100's of tons that we can't give away.. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 19:08, Mark Bolam said:

What I'm getting at Matthew is that I think there could be a machine that ticks a lot of the boxes for the domestic stuff.

It just doesn't appear to exist yet.

All the manufacturers of wheeled articulated loaders are foreign, and probably can't grasp the concept of just how crap access is for a lot of our domestic jobs.

Roughneck Skiploading Dumper, Still a bit wide but ticks a few boxes.. There are a couple on ebay..

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by benedmonds

3 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

Its the mess that is half the issue. Back at the yard the mess is not important. Plus we split into billets and process with a bench saw and to be honest we have 100's of tons that we can't give away.. 

Yes I can see with billets you dont want to moving meter lengths around.

Only jobs I have been on you would have never got anything other than tiny kit on site. There always seems to be something to stop machinery like steps, steep banks, bogs, ditches etc. 

But how did you get it on the truck..?

We didn't have to luckily as a naighbour asked if he could have all the timber so happily piled it on his drive. Otherwise it would have been a two man lift and sore shoulder tonight.
How much of a beating do these take?  How long have you had yours?

Had this 1 about 5 years now and it's had a lot of abuse as half the time it's been used its attached to a winch and it now lives on the drawbar of the chipper so it's there if needed, even just for taking gear from truck to tree.
16098bf372dfeface3c0f5608140822c.jpg

Just a quick question from the perspective of a log seller who occasionally does some labouring for arborists. What do you guys do with these big lumps back in the yard? If they are going for logs one day why not ring them up to length there and then? I can see it makes the day longer and more mess but the wood is now easy to move by hand and cutting it up is a job that would need doing sooner or later anyway. 

Obviously a ‘who can lift lift the biggest bit’ competition of course[emoji23]
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

I like to leave timber as big as possible as it takes longer to dry and rot away and then cut it up later when i have more time.

2 hours ago, benedmonds said:

Roughneck Skiploading Dumper, Still a bit wide but ticks a few boxes.. There are a couple on ebay..

s-l1600.jpg

Roughnecks are an excellent piece of kit, some 4x4`s among them as well. Lad up the road has one and its got the tow pack with it so no trailer is needed . Mick Dundee made up a fork carriage for it which clips in where the skip goes.

Like this one.

$_86.JPG

Tow package

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2