Loading big wood..Domestic arb..

benedmonds

What I'm getting at Matthew is that I think there could be a machine that ticks a lot of the boxes for the domestic stuff.

It just doesn't appear to exist yet.

All the manufacturers of wheeled articulated loaders are foreign, and probably can't grasp the concept of just how crap access is for a lot of our domestic jobs.

5 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

What I'm getting at Matthew is that I think there could be a machine that ticks a lot of the boxes for the domestic stuff.

It just doesn't appear to exist yet.

All the manufacturers of wheeled articulated loaders are foreign, and probably can't grasp the concept of just how crap access is for a lot of our domestic jobs.

I tried the kanga as that is the smallest loader and it was too small but also too big.. It was just compomised in every way... If that makes sense. . I guess if it had not trashed the ground the compromise might have been acceptable. .

11 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

What about 1.7ton digger- much cheaper to buy over a 2.5(particularly if buying new) and will lift 300kg (200 at full reach). But perhaps the best bit for you is that with expanding tracks you can get the thing to under a meter wide. Can feed chippers. You could add a small tracked dumper /barrow if required and tow it all on the same trailer- keeping it under 2.5.

i used to have the Takeuchi TB016      and this was a belting machine- regularly used to clear up massive wind blown Beeches with it. picking up 4ft rings etc.

not as much loading height as bigger kit but depends what your loading into- Ifors are ideal.

They are still using it regularly on the estate you sold it to, according to a guy I know who works there. Cracking machine. :thumbup1:

I have used micro digger and trolley in the past to move big lumps of Beech from back garden out to the front were it was picked up by tractor with forwarding trailer, looked at tracked dumper to do that job you still have to lift it in to dumper. Now got Giant 204 loader which can be narrowed down to 96cm with the right wheels on but run it at the moment on turf tires with a track of 1010cm which gets into most jobs if it just a gate post in the way remove it then put it back at the end of job.

IMAG0446.jpg

We have a 1.5t 360 that I am considering bolting a tow ball to the dozer blade and fabricating a small timber trailer for and then getting one of those Skidsters someone posted photos of recently. I reckon those two machines would cover most of our work. However not much use for big work, but then for me it would be hire in time as we don't do enough big work to justify owning kit for it.

16 minutes ago, Chris Day said:

We have a 1.5t 360 that I am considering bolting a tow ball to the dozer blade and fabricating a small timber trailer for and then getting one of those Skidsters someone posted photos of recently. I reckon those two machines would cover most of our work. However not much use for big work, but then for me it would be hire in time as we don't do enough big work to justify owning kit for it.

Works well towing a trailer with mini digger. I often put a 10ft Ifor behind my 3tonner and stack it up  with timber as I go- not for gardens but was just the job on a old railway line I cleared of timber.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Works well towing a trailer with mini digger. I often put a 10ft Ifor behind my 3tonner and stack it up  with timber as I go- not for gardens but was just the job on a old railway line I cleared of timber.

Right that's my welding job for Christmas sorted. I will post photos of my creation! 

8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

There is probably no single right answer Ben.

It would be an idea to measure the single narrowest access point for every job in the future so you can look at some figures.

We do tons of back garden domestics with side-gate access only, so you're limited to about 900mm width.

You could get some of the smaller machines in, but they can only carry so much out! A 900mm length of say 24" dia timber saves of lot of saw and back work though.

Then there's the lawn tearing up issue....

If someone made an articulated mini-loader that was sub-900mm width and could lift say 300kg to 1.2m they'd be onto an arb winner for me.

Does such a machine exist?

Schaffer 2020 can be supplied with skinny tyres for a 790 mm width. You would also need a branch manger grapple to get the best out of it.

However i bet it would be much easier to tip over than the standard 1250 mm width one

Edited by kimtree
better info