Loading big wood..Domestic arb..

benedmonds

7 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi All

As has been said like all things in life there is no one  perfect tool to do every job. My own solution was put together to fit my own circumstances i.e. personnel use primarily oversize lumps for milling. Basically its fag packet engineering but put together reasonably well, not perfect but it does what I need it to do and cuts the manual handling element down dramatically. most of the cost came from the rams and hyd pump I was very lucky in that the winch came out of a skip and was easily repairable plus I did the cutting and tacking up myself to keep costs down . Got the pins etc machined by a mate in inverness who does great one off machining/welding stuff at very decent prices proper old school grab a brew and chat about it and stay until its done type of set up. Not the best of pics but im sure you get idea of it, basically there's a snatch block on A frame that  winch wire is passed though once log is up on back of trailer I drop the wire out of the snatch block and normally just pull it on although a couple of times I've used a small chain block off the A frame to get the log horizontal. Like I say possibly not everyone's cup of tea but I looked at HI AB type set ups and the nose weight etc. issues put me off plus costs were too high. Total cost to me has been around the 650-700 mark up to now.

thumbnail_IMG_5583.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5781.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5782.jpg

IMG_5909.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_7550.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6073.jpg

Good idea, but if they are large enough bits of wood why not just use rams and drag wood up them.

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

Good idea, but if they are large enough bits of wood why not just use rams and drag wood up them.

Hi

Yeah thought of that and the use of a full width tailgate to allow that to happen but all of those options need the ramps to stay in place and the log to come at it dead straight. Having the snatch block in the centre of the A frame allows the winch wire fleet angle to stay perfect regardless of what angle im pulling the log in from and keeps the nose off the ground and stops it digging in, Like I said its not the perfect solution but it works for me and has lifted on some pretty decent size pieces up to now. Few more things left to do to get it where im totally happy but for now it will do. The driving force behind doing it was having a good size elm log roll off the two atv ramps I was using to load from one side then rolling down one shin and ending up with battered and bruised foot, hobbling off down a forestry track feeling sick with the pain was a great motivator and a reminder I aint getting any younger LOL

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 21:38, aspenarb said:

Roughnecks are an excellent piece of kit, some 4x4`s among them as well. Lad up the road has one and its got the tow pack with it so no trailer is needed . Mick Dundee made up a fork carriage for it which clips in where the skip goes.

Like this one.

$_86.JPG

Tow package

hqdefault.jpg

Hello Bob,   Do you think it's possible to have a brash grab / log grab fabbed up to suit one of these skip loaders and would there be enough hydraulic services to power it ?

Thanks in advance,  W

1 hour ago, wicklamulla said:

Hello Bob,   Do you think it's possible to have a brash grab / log grab fabbed up to suit one of these skip loaders and would there be enough hydraulic services to power it ?

Thanks in advance,  W

From memory I think we changed the spool valve to accommodate a beak at a later date, so basically for small change and a few hours work they can be custom built to suit .

Bob

• Like 1

• 1 month later...