Loading big wood..Domestic arb..

benedmonds

I am looking at an efficient/cost effective way to help the guys get arising's, mostly the big logs onto the trucks.   Most of our work is domestic and the big stuff with big space we have a loader tractor and grain trailer. This also deals with yard duties.... We also have a hiab that attaches to the tractor, but.. the tractor diver is a director and doesn't have time to get on site much...

It is normal for us to have at least 2 trucks on a takedown, so towing chipper and something else doable..

Option 1. Tail lift. and arb trolley.. This is what we have been doing, but we have removed the tail lift from one of our 3.5 tonners as the truck was easily overloaded.. We still have one on the 6.5 tonner so that can go to the big takedowns..

Option 2. Mini skid steer loader.. We tried the Kanga, it was still pretty big and made a mess... I did not see much use. a bigger machine might be better but it would be too big..

Option 3. Power barrow/micro arb truck. Drive it onto the trailer and tip the logs..  you are limited to what it will carry, but pretty cheap solution. Power barrows have some pretty poor reviews online..

Option 4. Big truck with hiab and grab. Expensive, no help to trees in back garden.. If mounted on more then a 7.5 tonner even more driver licencing issues and not legally going to carry much..

Option 5. 2.5 ton digger with grab. This could be towed on a trailer, could it load the trucks? How much can they lift?   Feed the chipper.. and have numerous other uses.. no help in small gardens..

Option 6. Articulated loader. Expensive, benefits limited as to big most of the time and we have a tractor that can do much of the other stuff that it would be useful for..

Option 7. Hook loader. could drop the body on the floor and make it easy to load? Can you tip with a hook loader? different bodies could be useful. one for chip. one for logs.. 

Any other ideas...? Comments..

Currently thinking option 3 as cheapish... but think 5 might be a good long term solution..

Diggers seem pretty good for arb work with a decent grab rotater. Another thing to consider would be a custom made 3.5t tipper trailer with a timber crane with grab rotater. Not a lot of cop in a back garden but would make light work of loading and unloading big wood, with high sides could also be used for chip on larger jobs

10 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

We also have a hiab that attaches to the tractor, but.. the tractor diver is a director and doesn't have time to get on site much...

Train other people to use the tractor? :)

Serious answer, the guy I work with most of the time has a grab on a 2.5ton digger, it's surprisingly agile and can fit in some tight spots.

• Like 2

I’d have thought the digger first and then start looking for a hook lift. Think how handy it would be to leave a bin being filled while you collect and empty another. A groundwork man I know has a pair of lorries with hooklift and HIAB on each. He loads a five tonne digger by pulling it on in a bin with the hook or can load a one tonner straight on with the HIAB.

• Like 2

I personally have a botex trailer for my tractor which shifts our big stuff and it's surprising how inventive you become with it to avoid manual handling.
I bought a grab and rotator and made a bracket that can fit both a 2.5 and 8 ton digger which I can easily hire from a small local place as nd when it suits the job which saves having it sat costing when not working and no service costs.
Arb trolly and winch on bandit chipper also works well for bringing timber in reach of botex.
I've has a power barrow with a modified carrier for timber which worked very well as could scoop up quit a lump or stack smaller stuff on it easy but with the tracks grass damage was still a issue and boards needed as there is no finesse with the stearing.
My honest answer is like everything in this job no 1 thing is perfect so you need to work out what is going to do the most for you and try find other options locally when needed.

• Like 5

What about 1.7ton digger- much cheaper to buy over a 2.5(particularly if buying new) and will lift 300kg (200 at full reach). But perhaps the best bit for you is that with expanding tracks you can get the thing to under a meter wide. Can feed chippers. You could add a small tracked dumper /barrow if required and tow it all on the same trailer- keeping it under 2.5.

i used to have the Takeuchi TB016      and this was a belting machine- regularly used to clear up massive wind blown Beeches with it. picking up 4ft rings etc.

not as much loading height as bigger kit but depends what your loading into- Ifors are ideal.

• Like 2

when i started tree work in oz we used to get large logs out of tight backyards so we could mill them using a homemade log arch  that could lift up to 3 ton via a tirfor winch thru multiple pulleys,lots of work and time were required.

Now we have a small articulated loader and a ginormous crane on a truck less time is required but the costs are very high. Sometimes  we still have to use a wheelbarrow  or smaller log arch to get small logs out.

An articulated loader does little damage to the ground versus a skid steer or tractor,  access is generally good here.

Access is key here if you can get a small articulated loader in that is your best bet

• Like 1

I’d have thought the digger first and then start looking for a hook lift. Think how handy it would be to leave a bin being filled while you collect and empty another. A groundwork man I know has a pair of lorries with hooklift and HIAB on each. He loads a five tonne digger by pulling it on in a bin with the hook or can load a one tonner straight on with the HIAB.

f2dada608e0b06505f37836a49502776.jpg