Knotweed and other Invasive Species Reports/Removal

Mark Wileman

I don't think this is specifically correct. There isn't a license for example so a licensed contractor does not exist so cannot be a legal requirement. Works carried out by a 'qualified' person with nationally recognised certification is probably more accurate. Although that said there is no legal reason a land/home owner cannot treat JK themselves.

'Legally' you cannot knowingly let it spread. It is not 'illegal' to have it on your land. The issue nowadays is civil action and people making a claim against you for costs. Residents claiming costs from a neighbour for damage to a patio for example. You still need to be able to demonstrate on balance of probability the infestation started on their land and not yours. Not easy to do in all cases.

Perhaps I was remembering wrong and you just have to be registered/qualified to remove it from site. There was definitely something along those lines. But as I said that was a coupla years ago so could do with a memory refresh :)

Yeah I think it says you have to 'manage' it if it's on your land or you could be served an ASBO. The ASBO bit I remember because it makes knotweed sound like a yob haha!

30 minutes ago, richy_B said:

Depends how you treat it. PA6A if it's with a spray pack. PA6D if it's stem injection. PA6AW if it's near an aquatic environment.

Additional units if you work from a ATV or tractor as well if you need them.

Thanks,

was hoping that PA6A covered PA6D to, but looking at my nptc card/certificate am guessing not as its not even listed. Is the stem injection module fairly new?

12 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

So that told me:$

What's that saying? "Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and be proved..." If nothing else, I'll be able to explain to people the differences between just treating and using a INNSA member

The guy asked what sort of training is required to deal with Invasive Species. I was explaining that to offer a comprehensive service he would need to be able to offer an Insurance backed warranty. Agreed it was a bit of a rushed response however I was busy doing 'actual' work.

What an aggressive response though Gary. It doesn't really attract people to want to be involved in your discussions.

Although, here's a quote for you. "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"...

22 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Good luck with burning it, it comes from volcanic regions and I've seen the rhizomes (?) growing  after being dug up and 'incinerated' on good hot bonfires.

The above ground parts may be burnt, but I understand that it rarely reproduces from seed anyway

What a ridiculous comment to make! It can withstand some surface heat from lava flow but If you excavate the rhizome and incinerate it properly its not going to grow back from ash! :laugh1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nimrod Environmental said:

What a ridiculous comment to make! It can withstand some surface heat from lava flow but If you excavate the rhizome and incinerate it properly its not going to grow back from ash! :laugh1:

In fact raise it's temperature to 90C for a few minutes and that sterilizes the soil.

2 hours ago, Nimrod Environmental said:

The guy asked what sort of training is required to deal with Invasive Species. I was explaining that to offer a comprehensive service he would need to be able to offer an Insurance backed warranty. Agreed it was a bit of a rushed response however I was busy doing 'actual' work.

What an aggressive response though Gary. It doesn't really attract people to want to be involved in your discussions.

Im not sure why you've read that as aggressive, the fool that I was alluding to was myself! After your explanation of the warranty position corrected my lack of knowledge!

Although, here's a quote for you. "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"...

Incinerate properly being the operative word. I'm sorry if passing on my own personal experience if someone burning the rhizome on a bloody big bonfire and then watching it reshoot appears unbelievable to you, but that's what I've seen. I'm suggesting that it may not be that easy to simply burn, but I'll defer to your expertise