Beech Tree fungus growths & decay.

t0ny0k

Old gentleman asked me to have a look at a old beech tree in his garden, he was concerned about the growths and there is decay in the base of the trunk.

WE are looking at removing some of the big heavy branches that would probably relieve some of the forces off the trunk.

Advice is appreciated.

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3414.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1071.jpeg

That looks like a target rich environment!

are all the ffbs to one side of the stem or all around the circumference? Obviously, counting the layers the gano has colonised this a long time ago (12-13 layers) and there doesn’t look to be a decrease in the thickness of the most recent layers so the assumption is, could be, that there’s still resources available to the fungi.

If you remove a lot of the canopy, then less resources are available to the tree to create physical/chemical barriers to defend against further colonisation, so you might actually do more harm in the short term.

can it be reduced so that it wouldn’t hit anything if it failed?

The best way to decide what to do really is to establish the extent of decay (Picus or resistograph for example), but the costs associated with that then become an issue.

What was the canopy like?

Honestly, I’d hate to form an opinion solely on those photos, but suspect that the consensus will be to monolith or remove.

I would probably be looking for someone more qualified/insured to make that decision re management. Are you insured to give this advice, ie professional liability insurance? If you recomend a reduction and it still fails you could be liable.

Customer has been clearly informed that if he requires a survey/report I could organise it for him, all I'm doing is trying to help the guy. If he had the money he would have it taken down, somebody will probably carryout a reduction/monolith/removal based on cost. To start with all he is doing is talking to tree surgeons to gather some information and prices, he wants to first ensure if the tree fails, it does not hit any buildings. 

Hi Tony,

I am not trying to question your knowledge/experience it is just advice so you don't put yourself in a vulnerable position. If it was me I would quote him for all of those options but clearly state that without an inspection/tree report you cannot advise which would be best.

jan.

Thanks, advice is very much appreciated, I have emailed the customer stating we are not qualified or insured to give advice on the management of the tree, but we can undertake the work if he wishes us to do so. My gut feeling he will have the branches removed, that may come near to his or neighbours house if it should fail and when funds are available he will have the tree removed.

• Like 1