Another tragic death

stihlmadasever

Very sad story. Impossible to comment on the time pressure part of the job - a 70 tree conifer hedge can take a day or a month dependent on a whole world of factors.

£2500 for a 3 man team for 4 days has plenty of margin in it - not the end of the world if it overruns a bit (particularly if the chap was taking half the dosh, as suggested in the article). 

It is unfortunately not the first of this specific type of accident - pressure/fatigue/complacency etc have led to this before and will probably lead to more in the future (as horrible as that is to think about). 

Thoughts to the family left behind, and the crew on site that day.

Take care everyone.

• Like 1

It is indeed sad to read and thought to friends and family.

No disrespect but I doubt pressure was the cause. I only say this add I have witnessed the exact same thing twice, thankfully both near misses due to someone on the ground making themselves heard!

One was a college student, no pressure just inexperience, the other was a climber of 20 years plus who was just doing his job but didn't think for a moment. That's all it takes, a lapse of concentration for a moment, just like driving a car, one wrong mistake and boom, game over.

• Like 2

good comparison Mark, I've said before that driving to and from (and during) work posed similar dangers to climbing. Complacency and lack of concentration can be disastrous. I've been guilty in both scenarios.

I reckon climbing is no riskier than driving. You have to be aware of your actions and anticipate others constantly.

• Like 1

It is indeed sad to read and thought to friends and family.

No disrespect but I doubt pressure was the cause. I only say this add I have witnessed the exact same thing twice, thankfully both near misses due to someone on the ground making themselves heard!

One was a college student, no pressure just inexperience, the other was a climber of 20 years plus who was just doing his job but didn't think for a moment. That's all it takes, a lapse of concentration for a moment, just like driving a car, one wrong mistake and boom, game over.

good comparison Mark, I've said before that driving to and from (and during) work posed similar dangers to climbing. Complacency and lack of concentration can be disastrous. I've been guilty in both scenarios.

I reckon climbing is no riskier than driving. You have to be aware of your actions and anticipate others constantly.

Yeah read this before.  It is really hard to understand exactly what happened I guess.  Not sure trying to put blame on the job being underpriced is really fair but you can't deny it could have contributed.

Ive always felt in this industry from

Working with others and reading for lots of threads that there is way too much emphasis on speed, "he's a quick climber, fast ect" for me speed is not of the essence, I'm by no means the most experienced climber and probably we'll definitely lol a lot slower than others but if I can walk away at the end of a day's climbing I'm happy, if I have to go back another day for a couple

Of hours to finish up so be it, I have a daughter and family and speed one day will catch you out and in this industry it only takes one lapse of concentration....without overthinking too much I do try each time I'm doing something up a tree to almost do a mental checklist, double check what I've done, assess what may happen ect....sure it takes me more time but I'm all to aware that if I get complacent then shit may happen, all you can do I guess! Thoughts to this guys family, sounded like a decent chap, we've all made silly mistakes and this poor guy just got unlucky:(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Working with others and reading lots of threads that there is way too much emphasis on speed, "he's a quick climber, fast ect" for me speed is not of the essence, I'm by no means the most experienced climber and probably we'll definitely lol a lot slower than others but if I can walk away at the end of a day's climbing I'm happy, if I have to go back another day for a couple
Of hours to finish up so be it, I have a daughter and family and sped one day will at h you out and in this industry it only takes one lapse of concentration....without overthinking too much I do try each time I'm doing something up a tree to almost do a mental checklist, double check what I've done, assess what may happen ect....sure it takes me more time but I'm all to aware that if I get complacent then shot may happen, all you can do I guess! Thoughts to this guys family, sounded like a decent chap, we've all made silly mistakes and this poor guy just got unlucky:(

9 minutes ago, Bootroyd said:

Working with others and reading for lots of threads that there is way too much emphasis on speed, "he's a quick climber, fast ect" for me speed is not of the essence, I'm by no means the most experienced climber and probably we'll definitely lol a lot slower than others but if I can walk away at the end of a day's climbing I'm happy, if I have to go back another day for a couple

Of hours to finish up so be it, I have a daughter and family and speed one day will catch you out and in this industry it only takes one lapse of concentration....without overthinking too much I do try each time I'm doing something up a tree to almost do a mental checklist, double check what I've done, assess what may happen ect....sure it takes me more time but I'm all to aware that if I get complacent then shit may happen, all you can do I guess! Thoughts to this guys family, sounded like a decent chap, we've all made silly mistakes and this poor guy just got unlucky:(

Every job is about speed, time is money. That’s the way it is and always has been.

Sad to read about the young man, as Roseyweb says, easy to do that in rows of conifers.

Best thing we can do is think about the fella tomorrow morning and think twice.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3

Every job is about speed, time is money. That’s the way it is and always has been.

Sad to read about the young man, as Roseyweb says, easy to do that in rows of conifers.

Best thing we can do is think about the fella tomorrow morning and think twice.

Not sure I entirely agree that every job is about speed, [emoji848].....I totally agree tho that time is money, fair comment however personally I don't like to put myself under that much pressure because speed does become an issue then for sure but then Corners r cut and we know the rest.....I've worked with plenty of teams on the ground that have tried to fit too much into one day and come 4pm this time of year yr working in the dark and limbs ect are just being dropped rather than rigged just to get the job done........
  • Like 1