Best way to store logs outside?

drinksloe

Alright.

Just wondering if there is a best way to store cut/split logs outside?

Is it worth putting some teram down on the ground first or covering them with a tarp/plastic?

I have some old leanto sheds that hold about 100 cube o so which are stacked to the gunnels (and could be over 10 yeas of logs for my own use) but I still have more to log and have a few big heaps (5 or 6 6T dumper loads a heap) lying out in the open.

I had a big heap in between a gap in the leanto's which had tin temporyily over most of it, since I've repurposed the tin and put a tarp over it I have noticed condensation on the underside.

Also amazing how wet the well stacked face of logs where that weren't covered too.

So is it worth putting some teram down on the ground first?

Is it worth covering with plastic or wait till after a long dry spell (if they even exist in Scotland :D) before covering to minimise condensation.

Or best to just leave as logs

I should add just for my own use I'm not selling them.

Cheers folks.

Aye wes I've already built a few of those, got a few 8x 5or 6ft pallets for the 2 sides couple of stabs to help support sides and put a tin roof on.

Like u say cheap and easy to build

seen them things too bob.

I did think about building 1 but its just the time involved to stack them (which is the same with a pallet shed) I generally hand split and chuck the split logs in dumper skip, or the smaller 1's roll of my log horse down a shute into the skip so it is quite easy just to dump them in a big heap.

I've got a lot of timber to tidy up but at same time can't justify a processor/splitter but do try to minimise handling if I can, usually by using gravity

I've already got 100 odd cube under cover so got plenty good dry stuff (some will be 3/4 seasons old now) and like I said possibly 10or so years worth of timber, its more to stop the split wood rotting in the mean time.

I am expecting to have to move them a 2nd time in the future anyway

I just put pallets on the ground and pile the logs onto them, for big piles I use building paper to cover them, it lets the pile breathe so any wet stuff will dry out without the pile going mouldy.  IBC cages are another option, but cost a bob or two  more than the pallets initially 

5 hours ago, drinksloe said:

I've already got 100 odd cube under cover so got plenty good dry stuff (some will be 3/4 seasons old now) and like I said possibly 10or so years worth of timber, its more to stop the split wood rotting in the mean time.

I am expecting to have to move them a 2nd time in the future anyway

10 years supply is a lot! Why cut more if you already have a huge supply? Imho you should be selling some...

I've constructed a Holzhausen as my other pallet log stores were all full. What I don't know is how are you supposed to use the wood once seasoned? By pulling logs off the pile you're damaging the structure or do I just cover with a tarp?

I've constructed a Holzhausen as my other pallet log stores were all full. What I don't know is how are you supposed to use the wood once seasoned? By pulling logs off the pile you're damaging the structure or do I just cover with a tarp?

Build it mostly of the splits logs bark down. Use longer pieces for domed top, bark up side up. When it's seasoned and it mostly will be at near enough the same time. Remove the uppermost layer of longer pieces and set aside. Take what you then need of shorter firewood, then reconstruct a domed top from the longer pieces, bark side up.  

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 13:40, matelot said:

10 years supply is a lot! Why cut more if you already have a huge supply? Imho you should be selling some...

Aye ur right there is a lot, now many of the trees are already cut and just need cut up and logged, got a few decent sized wind blow down the bottom to deal with at some point also in the future got some large sycamore to take down in the future too.

I bought a small wooded site with decades of neglect/lack of management so just playing catch up

Aye I have thought about selling it but to be honest not really set up for it,  and for the money not sure worth the hassle.

If u counted my time and probably quadruple handling and splitting with an axe it wouldn't be very profitable.

I've got things slightly better organised now so not quite as much double handling.

I have thought about saying to a couple of neighbours as I could track my digger there with a tote bag quite easily. 

I will try the roofing membrane idea as that should let it breathe

• Like 1

Build a Holzhausen. I have made a couple of these in the past. Very effective. Only need a small bit of cover for the top...platic/tarp.

Job done!

Bob

random pic off web

woodpileround1.jpg.f0323de716f2010c4a84122e0a6922f0.jpg

Been reading Norwegian wood, from memory

They cut the wood to 24” the first few layers are bark down to stop wet coming up. All the nice splits make the sides, then the dodgy cut bits get thrown inside. Top it off with the bark facing up to shed water.

Cut in winter, split Feb/March it’ll dry over summer then collapse in on its self as as the timber contracts as it drys then it’s ready to burn the following winter