Which splitter

georgehowson

Hi there, I have a forest master fm16, horizontal, hydraulic splitter  with a two stroke engine. It is hideously slow and worse than it used to be despite changing the hydraulic oil. 

I'm looking to upgrade to something more professional. Kinetic splitters look cool but out of my price range and I'd worry they couldn't split big stuff. Small stuff I reckon for me will be faster by hand anyway. 

Toying with the idea of building a screw type splitter. But also wondering if a better off the shelf hydraulic with a four way splitter would be fast enough.

If going hydraulic, needs to be a stand alone unit and I want something that is going to split anything I throw at it but also as fast as possible. Ideally looking to spend around the £850 mark but I dont want to make the mistake of going too cheap again so if necessary might consider upto a grand.

Sorry for the preamble, essentially looking for advice on models to consider in the UK? Horizontal vs vertical?

Thanks for your time.

Watching with interest as your requirements are basically the same as mine!  I'm working with a (little) 4tonne electric machine at the moment and it does most of what I throw at it but I want something faster, portable (not tied to lecky) and more powerful for the knotty bits.

I use a 16ton split vertical hydraulic splitter with a big table waist heaight to work at. Brilliant machine and fast in the right hands. It’s a 3 point linkage tractor job but I’ve mounted it on a pallet to move it around and run it from a jcb power pack. The splitter was £1000 brand new and the power pack £300 off eBay second hand. Well worth the money both of them. Rob 

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:12, georgehowson said:

Hi there, I have a forest master fm16, horizontal, hydraulic splitter  with a two stroke engine. It is hideously slow and worse than it used to be despite changing the hydraulic oil. 

I'm looking to upgrade to something more professional. Kinetic splitters look cool but out of my price range and I'd worry they couldn't split big stuff. Small stuff I reckon for me will be faster by hand anyway. 

Toying with the idea of building a screw type splitter. But also wondering if a better off the shelf hydraulic with a four way splitter would be fast enough.

If going hydraulic, needs to be a stand alone unit and I want something that is going to split anything I throw at it but also as fast as possible. Ideally looking to spend around the £850 mark but I dont want to make the mistake of going too cheap again so if necessary might consider upto a grand.

Sorry for the preamble, essentially looking for advice on models to consider in the UK? Horizontal vs vertical?

Thanks for your time.

Just a suggestion but why don't you try fitting a bigger two stage pump ,it would probably speed up the splitter and be the cheapest option

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2017 at 21:30, farmboy3 said:

Just a suggestion but why don't you try fitting a bigger two stage pump ,it would probably speed up the splitter and be the cheapest option

Probably need to increase the capacity of hydraulic oil tank ( so it does not over heat )  , also increase the internal dia of the hoses and  and actuator valve and finally a bigger engine to power it .