I love axes, I have about 10, I much prefer wooden handled ones, Gransfors, Hultifors etc, but I've had the biggest of the husky ones for about 4 years and it's been great, I mostly use it in forestry operations, often for pounding hi lifts in, but it's good for doing big rounds and its been thrown around a lot n I've never had a prob from shock in the handle.

The beauty of a wooden handle is you can buy or make a new handle if it breaks, not to mention less vibration on the hands and arms...

I've got about ten axes all told, my favorite being a re-purposed Bucking billy double bit....  

Oh and if your wanting to chop firewood its a maul you'll be lookin for...   I've one or two of them as well....

12 hours ago, Vespasian said:

The beauty of a wooden handle is you can buy or make a new handle if it breaks, not to mention less vibration on the hands and arms...

I've got about ten axes all told, my favorite being a re-purposed Bucking billy double bit....  

Oh and if your wanting to chop firewood its a maul you'll be lookin for...   I've one or two of them as well....

How much do Bucking Billy's cost?

On 01/12/2017 at 14:09, Mark J said:

I really rate my x27.  I have mauls and axes and the x27 is my chopper of choice.

I will second that.  The X27 seems to be perfect for the splitting job.  It never becomes stuck as the head is not that big.  I see that the blade on the A2400 is much bigger and does not seem to have the geometry of the X27 which to my mind is the secret of its explosive splitting performance.  The A2400 looks as though it will become stuck in a tough log more easily.

The X27 is also lighter than most which is important over a day's work.

The  Fibrecomp handle is made of the same stuff as PTFE tape I believe and seems good at absorbing shocks as well as taking abuse.  It is also longer than average giving a heavier blow to the wood.

Finally I see X27 coming up favourably again and again on this forum which is probably the best recommendation.

I bought the large husky splitting axe. Can't fault it. Cheap. Splits very well. Handle is super tough and the back of the head is hardened for use on felling wedges. Gets more use than all my other expensive (comparatively) fancy traditional axes.

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

I will second that.  The X27 seems to be perfect for the splitting job.  It never becomes stuck as the head is not that big.  I see that the blade on the A2400 is much bigger and does not seem to have the geometry of the X27 which to my mind is the secret of its explosive splitting performance.  The A2400 looks as though it will become stuck in a tough log more easily.

The X27 is also lighter than most which is important over a day's work.

The  Fibrecomp handle is made of the same stuff as PTFE tape I believe and seems good at absorbing shocks as well as taking abuse.  It is also longer than average giving a heavier blow to the wood.

Finally I see X27 coming up favourably again and again on this forum which is probably the best recommendation.

That would be PolyTetraFluoEthylene......

7 hours ago, Billhook said:

The  Fibrecomp handle is made of the same stuff as PTFE tape I believe

Poly tetra fluoro ethylene is similar to the stuff used to coat pans to make them non stick, polyethylene or polypropylene is commonly used for tool handles. I get by calling them all plastic, works for me :D

Edited by peatff

6 hours ago, Bloom said:

How much do Bucking Billy's cost?

err depends on the axe I suppose, and the axes are to support his channel...   so your not just buying an axe as such your contributing to Buckin's Utube career..

that said the one I bought was about three times as much as an off the shelf axe/similar model...  that said the one I have is my pride and joy..  you can't put a price on that...

6 hours ago, peatff said:

Poly tetra fluoro ethylene is similar to the stuff used to coat pans to make them non stick, polyethylene or polypropylene is commonly used for tool handles. I get by calling them all plastic, works for me :D

Apparently Teflon ( the non stick coating on pans ) is carcinogenic !