No mobile reception at home

Woodworks

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

So the antenna feeds to a router but how does that enable the use of a phone, is it a bluetooth link? Apparently there is good 4g around here so whatever you are suggesting could work. Or is that the fast 4g broadband enables me to use the phone via the internet through a device like the sure signal? I dont even know what 4g really means :$

No the antenna can feed a car kit because they have an aerial connection and cellphones don't seem to.

3 hours ago, john p said:

Our one is rubbish, can hear calls fine but apparently going the other way we sound like robots! Do have rubbish bb speed though

We have the Vodafone box at home. IIRC Vodafone said it needs 1Mb (megabit, not megabyte) of data to work, but didn't specify if that was upstream or downstream. Our BB is pretty slow, about 6Mb down and 0.3Mb up. Vodafone box works pretty well, I get good signal in most of the house. Box runs hot and does need rebooting from time to time, and it was a bit of a faff to set up - worth it though. Some modern phones allow Wifi calling, so don't need a provider specific box, just a WiFi connection.

4 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Apparently there is good 4g around here so whatever you are suggesting could work. Or is that the fast 4g broadband enables me to use the phone via the internet through a device like the sure signal? I dont even know what 4g really means :$

My brother gets 30MB/sec download on 4G and you actually need very little for voice, maybe only 100kB/sec so you could use EE Voice Over Internet Protocol inside the house depending who your cellphone contract is with.

I am being sent a 1800MHz amplifier as used in the old car kits and shall report how that works.

1 hour ago, Treadlight Forestry said:

Are you on Vodafone?

Then just get a phone that supports Wifi Calling........

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/?cid=vnty-vod-auto/dvynfvtq(uv(bx)ijfjuneejth

No not exactly. I am on Talk Mobile but it uses the same network which has the best coverage in this area. At present I have a cheap phone on a cheap contract so no biggy to dump it and start again. If it's as simple as it sounds on the video it would be perfect. Will check compatible phones and services when I get a chance. Many thanks

3 hours ago, Treadlight Forestry said:

Are you on Vodafone?

Then just get a phone that supports Wifi Calling........

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/?cid=vnty-vod-auto/dvynfvtq(uv(bx)ijfjuneejth

It gets better. As a Talk Mobile customer I can now upgrade to Vodaphone and it will cost way less than the prices Vodaphone advertise. 

Thanks all. Looks like I have a solution and it's not going to break the bank :thumbup:

Oh and only 1meg required for wi-fi calling apparently 

Edited by Woodworks

28 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

It gets better. As a Talk Mobile customer I can now upgrade to Vodaphone and it will cost way less than the prices Vodaphone advertise. 

Thanks all. Looks like I have a solution and it's not going to break the bank :thumbup:

Oh and only 1meg required for wi-fi calling apparently 

Make sure you check with Vodafone that the phone / package will work with Wifi Calling.  As far as I know being on the Vodafone network is not enough you have to buy the phone / package direct from Vodafone to get it to work.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Treadlight Forestry said:

Make sure you check with Vodafone that the phone / package will work with Wifi Calling.  As far as I know being on the Vodafone network is not enough you have to buy the phone / package direct from Vodafone to get it to work.

Yes I will check as not everything Talk Mobile matched with what Vodaphone has told me