Kretzschmaria deusta and Pleurotus ostreatus

MarkJR

Morning chaps and (and ladies) I have posted before but under a different log in,  lost touch with you for a while when the forum changed.

I came across this on a lime that we have been monitoring this week.

Very little by way of target so we have had the luxury of watching this tree over a couple of years. Kretzschmaria deusta recorded a couple of years ago, but now very evident.

Young fruiting bodies of Pleurotus ostreatus (If my id is correct?) also present this year and in the same affected area.

Is this common?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

Hello Mark, 

secondary clonisations by saprophytic fungi (like Pleurotus sp) are very common  on wood volumes that are infected by a primary agent like Kretz. But unless the subject tree is in a woodland or away from significant targets the overlapping successional species are seldom seen by Arbs as the risk averse nature of tree ownership and management usually means that the ‘hazard’ is removed.

15 hours ago, Treeation said:

3rd picture doesnt look like Pluerotus ostreatus as has a long stalk - I havent seen it with long stalk before? Also, colour doesnt quite look right

Lack of ring on the stem would rule out armillaria which I had initially assumed when I saw its location. Pretty sure its not spindleshank or a Pholiota.

Alternative suggestions always welcome?

I'm not saying it is At but it could be. Mainly just saying don't rule out Armillaria just because of lack of ring. I don't hav ethe experience of At to know if it succeeds Kd, especially in fruiting mode.

I was out in a semi natural feeling woodland yesterday, Lime, Beech, Sycamore, Elm. Stuff of all ages, dead big stuff on the ground, vigorous stuff, weak stuff, and Armillaria was everywhere in rhizomorph form. Crawling all over everything, a regular pitched battle in slow motion with trees beaaring minor wounds mainly sustained by other trees fallign against them. Not one single 'shroom of Armillaria, and I wasn't confident in pinning down the species of Armillaria at all. It only seems to fruit if it's got nothing left to feed on and can't move on by physical contact. I'd say I am not confident of ever having seen tabescens fruiting bodies.

1 hour ago, daltontrees said:

I'm not saying it is At but it could be. Mainly just saying don't rule out Armillaria just because of lack of ring. I don't hav ethe experience of At to know if it succeeds Kd, especially in fruiting mode.

I was out in a semi natural feeling woodland yesterday, Lime, Beech, Sycamore, Elm. Stuff of all ages, dead big stuff on the ground, vigorous stuff, weak stuff, and Armillaria was everywhere in rhizomorph form. Crawling all over everything, a regular pitched battle in slow motion with trees beaaring minor wounds mainly sustained by other trees fallign against them. Not one single 'shroom of Armillaria, and I wasn't confident in pinning down the species of Armillaria at all. It only seems to fruit if it's got nothing left to feed on and can't move on by physical contact. I'd say I am not confident of ever having seen tabescens fruiting bodies.

Jules, I note that you are in Scotland, I am in Yorkshire. Further reading would suggest that tabescens rarely occurs outside the south of England in the UK, so unlikely we will see it in our home ranges.

• Like 1