Arborist’/tree surgeons and morals

WesD

On 27/11/2017 at 20:06, WesD said:

Ok I hope I am not going to get shot down in flames here but with what’s going on in Sheffield I thought I’d post/ramble some thoughts and questions. 

Why are we in this job? 

Do people hold such high regards and morals for trees or do you actually if I may be blunt just love the job of removing them climbing them pruning them? 

I may may be selfish but I love working on trees (conifers excluded) be it raise, reduce, thin or remove yes it’s hard work but it’s selfishly satisfying admiring your work after a hard day. 

At its most simple any and most work on trees harm them yet we all love a before and after. 

Yes its it’s nice to work on trees that are goosed or to reduce some that will blatantly extend the trees lifespan but we all must work on perfectly healthy trees to satisfy the customers demands ie a reduction to allow more sunlight in the garden. 

So are we as a trade looking out for the best interests of trees as a whole or are we following best practices and guidelines whilst getting paid to do something we enjoy or are we somewhere in the middle?

If you where based in Sheffield and Amey subbed you in would you do the work and get paid or stay away?

Has anybody walked away from a job because they think a tree should be left alone?

If you have why have you walked away from jobs?

Thought this type of thread could raise some fat to chew and be a litttle different from brexit. 

I think a lot of skill and expertise comes in finding the balance between the needs of people and the needs of the tree. Its fair enough if someone wants more sunlight in their garden, especially in Britain. If they also like their tree, then it takes a good arborist to maintain a healthy tree whilst satisfying the clients desire for sunlight. A perfectly healthy tree can often take a reduction and still be perfectly healthy afterwards if done properly. I think without the skills that todays arborists have then a lot more trees would just be felled or badly pruned, so I try and take pride in that. But yes, I hate having to fell large or healthy trees without good reason.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2017 at 19:09, htb said:

You still using haix boots then

Nah - last pair were Andrews... good boot don't get me wrong but not so nice for wearing the old pruning spikes as the Haix Protector pros and for pruning jobs its the  arbpro evo  boots - like slippers they are, in fact I'm wearing them now as im sat in the den smoking fine cigars and drinking brandy all purchased with my ill-gotten toppin and loppin gains.  

2 minutes ago, Dilz said:

Nah - last pair were Andrews... good boot don't get me wrong but not so nice for wearing the old pruning spikes as the Haix Protector pros and for pruning jobs its the  arbpro evo  boots - like slippers they are, in fact I'm wearing them now as im sat in the den smoking fine cigars and drinking brandy all purchased with my ill-gotten toppin and loppin gains.  

It has its rewards