Arborist’/tree surgeons and morals

WesD

Think the morals part comes into play geographically. Some places have an overabundance of trees and while they may be nice and all, it's not like new ones aren't growing up all the time. Other places, certain big old trees, it would be a sin to butcher. I felled three nice oaks in Brittany twelve years ago, on the whim of a client and still feel remorse about it. I do think some trees are more special than others though. 

1 hour ago, devon TWiG said:

Was asked for a price to remove a nice big  Blue atlas cedar that owner felt was spoiling his view , phoned Arb officer to see if it had TPO  , and he said no ....I suggested he goes to look a it , next day he tells me it does have now !!!     good result I think !!

Wow!!

Got to say I think that stinks and is highly unprofessional, I think your lucky they did not sue you. You should really advertise to your potential clients that you may use "privileged" information against them.

I've walked away from jobs, but never tried to prevent perfectly legal work from taking place.

• Like 5

I had a moral dilemma today, I was working in my home town for an annual hedge trimming job and had a great view of half the town from the top of one holy hedge.

I thought well I took a big ash down over there, those conifers are coming down in January, those conifers are too big for the garden me or someone else will be dealing those soon and where did those lovely oaks go I remember as a kid? 

Did make me question what I personally have done to diminish that urban landscape! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chris Day said:

I had a moral dilemma today, I was working in my home town for an annual hedge trimming job and had a great view of half the town from the top of one holy hedge.

I thought well I took a big ash down over there, those conifers are coming down in January, those conifers are too big for the garden me or someone else will be dealing those soon and where did those lovely oaks go I remember as a kid? 

Did make me question what I personally have done to diminish that urban landscape! 

Hi mate. Getting rid of conifers is never bad for the urban landscape, they are - with few exceptions - a blight on the british landscape and every felled conny is an improvement in my book. So keep em coming down ;)

5 minutes ago, wjotner said:

Hi mate. Getting rid of conifers is never bad for the urban landscape, they are - with few exceptions - a blight on the british landscape and every felled conny is an improvement in my book. So keep em coming down ;)

There's always a certain joy in ruthlessly murdering leylandii for sure but I certainly enjoy seeing a good atlas cedar or dawn redwood or granny pine.

For me there's two aspects, one being perfectly healthy big trees that it feels a crying shame to fell where they aren't really causing any problems.

The other being the slow erosion of the tree cover in the landscape, where you aren't removing anything particularly spectacular but the overall effect is still a huge loss of tree cover and biodiversity.

Answer is always going to be education at the end of the day, too many people don't even notice trees until it blocks their sky TV signal..

• Like 2

If someone is adamant that they want to tree out, then I'm afraid my morals don't go as far as turning work down any more, although I have done in my altruistic youth.

However I do take the time to sus out clients and get enormous joy from identifying those nightmare twat individuals who enjoy making peoples lives miserable - and telling them that we are not the company for them and suggest that they call one of our competitors.

• Like 8

I struggle doing unnecessary work on untouched trees. Especially reductions rather than lifts and maybe a selective thin.

I've got no issue with maintaining a topping cycle, but I'd rather remove a tree rather than reduce one more than I think is good for the tree, unless it's in the trees interest.

Figure that out.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, wjotner said:

Hi mate, hope all is good your end. I agree regards Connie's but when they are all the green you can see in a 1970's built area once they're gone it leaves little else to break up the skyline!  The pits are gone now so the horizon is much nicer to look at but could still do with a few decent trees. 

• Like 1