repointing patios

tree-fancier123

not done a whole patio before - this one is square slabs, nothing fancy

how to rake, chisel or machine the old mortar out where it remains ( without chipping the slabs)?

best method to repoint after cleaning up?

there is a lot of missing pointing and weeds at the moment

My initial thoughts are gently with a bolster to remove, possibly a battery cut off saw too? And what about just brushing dry mortar mix into the joins after cleaning? Or is it best with a tub of stuff or one of those oversize mastic guns

thanks to anyone who does this work and tells me all their trade secrets

3 hours ago, Ian Leach said:

I grind the majority of the old stuff out, then bolster. Then I use an all weather jointing compound, soak and brush in, something like easy joint.

Yeah, the days of brushing in a dry mix are gone, once you've got it prepared to your satisfaction using a modern brush in grout is so much easier, longer lasting and leaves a much cleaner job, there's a lot of different brands to choose from, don't be put off by the cost [ as opposed to a mortar mix ] it's well worth it.

Here's a link to one of the brands I've used,  cheers.https://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/view-weatherpoint-365-brush-in-patio-jointing 

thanks for replies guys - i wish i'd kept my mouth shut and stuck with his trees and hedges, said i could do it for £100 - thought a couple of sacks of mortar mix at a £10 tops, looks like if it needs two tubs I'll be doing the job for £30, or less if I use up a diamond wheel or whatever on the angle grinder, still be a learner job. never imagined to regrout a patio of say 25m2 would be so dear. Sounds like a pro quote would be over £200 if a tub only does 7.5m2, I wont walk now ive said a price, but seems like ive messed up badly, or actually I may try to wriggle out of it - havent been to do trees and hedges yet so may have to separate that part - discretion the better part of valor and all that

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

thanks for replies guys - i wish i'd kept my mouth shut and stuck with his trees and hedges, said i could do it for £100 - thought a couple of sacks of mortar mix at a £10 tops, looks like if it needs two tubs I'll be doing the job for £30, or less if I use up a diamond wheel or whatever on the angle grinder, still be a learner job. never imagined to regrout a patio of say 25m2 would be so dear. Sounds like a pro quote would be over £200 if a tub only does 7.5m2, I wont walk now ive said a price, but seems like ive messed up badly

You could do it the way you said with a mortar gun this time, but I use the all weather stuff all the time now. As it saves time and looks and lasts longer.

• 2 weeks later...

4inch 

On 26/11/2017 at 21:23, dig-dug-dan said:

geoshite we call that stuff. avoid like the plague unless you want a call back in a year or two when it fails

I've used hundreds of tubs of Geofix and never had a problem with any of it. If used to manufactures guide lines it's faultless. 

Any of the resin bonded grouts will only fail if used with out solid beds. 

• Like 3