ST6 issues any ideas

Thesnarlingbadger

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dillinger86 said:

Mine also has an issue, the hood latch is knackered and the hood vibrates it’s way away from the hood sensor killing the engine. Have bought some center latches to fit either side. Anyone know the correct distance between the sensor and the hood plate?

Doesn't sound right. I've got a Jensen which is very similar setup, the hood sensor only needs to be engaged when starting the engine on mine? Will run with hood up fine once it's going

6 hours ago, Dillinger86 said:

Mine also has an issue, the hood latch is knackered and the hood vibrates it’s way away from the hood sensor killing the engine. Have bought some center latches to fit either side. Anyone know the correct distance between the sensor and the hood plate?

Redwoods service department said both sensors, the hood and one on the flywheel pulley, should be a gapped to the thickness of a pound coin. 

Redwoods service department said both sensors, the hood and one on the flywheel pulley, should be a gapped to the thickness of a pound coin. 

Right right, I guess it’s either the sensors had it or it is the latch failing to hold the hood down. It looks like the newer ones are fitted with actual latches either side of the hood...

12 minutes ago, Dillinger86 said:

Right right, I guess it’s either the sensors had it or it is the latch failing to hold the hood down. It looks like the newer ones are fitted with actual latches either side of the hood...

You can test the sensor by swopping the ‘flywheel’ one over to test the hood. (The sensors are both the same)

If the flywheel sensor sensor is off , the rollers will only operate in reverse but the engine will run IIRC

Edited by Gary Prentice

Just and update on this one as it’s been a while since I’ve been on here.
It was the fuel line blocked, I replaced the inline filter and no change so took it off put a airline in the pipe and blew a load of crap back in to the tank. The tank is being cleaned at the 500 hour service so I’ll leave it and repeat when needed until then.
Thanks again for all the reply’s.

• Thanks 1

You can test the sensor by swopping the ‘flywheel’ one over to test the hood. (The sensors are both the same)

If the flywheel sensor sensor is off , the rollers will only operate in reverse but the engine will run IIRC
Easier way to test the hood sensor is slot a 17mm socket over it with the hood open if it runs fine you know it's the gap changing from the hood vibration tripping it if it still cuts out or won't start its a faulty sensor, it's how we fooled ours whenever we had to bleed the fuel system after filter changes.