is it easy to switch from single phase to three phase???

se7enthdevil

hi guys, i need a bit of advice from the knowledgable in the field of leccy...

my wilson ripsaw runs on single phase and i want to take it to a workshop where they only have three phase. is it relatively easy or cheap to change the motor over or is it more complicated than that???

my saw is identical to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilson-450mm-Rip-Saw-DC-Brake-5-5kw-1500-VAT-/332373202131

any help is welcomed and if anyone can point out some people who can do this in the slough/windsor area then i'd appreciate it.

I'm surprised they only  have three phase.

How is the workshop lit?

Surely they run the lights off of just one of the phases?

I bet if you got a sparky round there he could rig up a 230v supply for you quite easily.

Don't try this at home!

• Like 3

3 phase to single phase happens all the time (tricky to go the other way round) I would bet that their consumer unit / fuse box has single phase fuses / breakers in -just plug it into one of them.

OK when I say 'just plug it in' -  depends how you need to be connected, if it needs to be hard wired into the mains suppy get a professional electrician in to do it - might cost a couple of ££ but it will be done safely and will be valid for insurances etc.

It mgiht be a circuit somewhere in the workshop with an industrial sockey. Would need something like a 40A / 45A breaker to cope with a 5/5kw motor (I think )

Should be OK to get an electrician in to put in what you need and shouldn't cost too much

The 3 phase supply is normally connected to whats called a busbar, this carries 4 cables, red,blue and yellow being the ones that carry the power, and black neutral.

To connect a single phase motor use any of the power cables and the neutral, this should be connected with armoured cable with the armoured part of this providing the earth connection.

If you do have a busbar you can get connecting boxes that just plug into the busbar and run the cable from this.

Probably best to get an electrician to do this properly. I had my head stuck in machine cabinets for most of 20 years but never messed with the big grey boxes on the wall bar testing fuses the size of your fist!

The job is pretty simple but you wouldn't want to lash it and have consequences such as fire, hospitalization or death!