captain hook

Dilz

So after getting one cheap when they first came out through freind of a friends brother who works at DMM - i actually used it today - Just wondering what systems / methods people use for hauling themselves across a traverse - I used the other end of my climbing line to attach the hook and then I used a VT set up and a hand ascender to give a DRT advantage - worked ok. but just curious.     

I dont have a hook (yet :P) but if you have a versatile ascender like a ct rollnlock I think it works great. Fast to clip mid line and very effective to progress capture, if you go one way full to the hook and not changing direction up/down. A hitch would work as fine.

carbon rope wrench???

Yes mate ,maybe a bit of a weird idea I had to keep weight down on my hook kit but gave me some thing to do for the afternoon and cost barely nothing as you can get rope wrench spares for under a tenner From Tree stuff, and you just trace the original RW outline on some sheet and mark the holes and maybe modify the shape a bit... I figured as It won’t be treated like a main line wrench and used heavy and more carefully whilst in use as you don’t want to dislodge that hook on great swings and knot burn out decent it will be good , works fine though and hasn’t really worn at all.
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Coletti said:

I can't remember where I saw it but I saw a video of a guy who threw the hook out with a classic prusic pulley system. Clipped this to this centre D then clipped his foot ascended to it and away he went. Looked really simple and easy

That's the kinda system I use. And the video you are refering to, could it be the one made by Timberwolf190?