Another wanting to career change to Tree Surgeon thread.

Kingjolly

Hello guys, new here. Though I've lurked this place for a bit, decided to make an account.

First things off, I'm 24, graduated in advertisement and quite frankly don't really enjoy it, office life bores the living heck out of me. I love the outdoors and nature, I've always been attracted to the job style of Rope Acess Technicians, Cell Tower climbers and Tree Surgeons. The kick one must get from having a job at heights with the risks yet always working in a different place with new set of challenges, instead of same old place seems great. Besides also a great way to get and stay fit.

So real talk, I know this is an arborist forums so it might be a bit biased but who better to get the real info than from people who work in the industry?

I plan to move back to the UK sometime next year and would love to take a full course or apprenticeship.

Do the Pros outweigh the Cons, whatever they are? Does the climbing novelty wear off quickly? And is there really an overabundance of Tree Surgeons (In the UK anyway?)

Fill me in please and thank you a bunch :)

Edited by Kingjolly

5 hours ago, Kingjolly said:

Does the climbing novelty wear off quickly? 

I don't think it wears off at all but its definitely water soluble, climbing in the wet is poor and using wet ropes the next day when the friction system milks muddy water down your right arm and leaves a black line down as far as your skids is a joy known only to a few. 

Its good to enjoy the outdoors, but be prepared to deal with the weather for the times when you have no option but to get it done.

• Like 5

Pay isn't great mate until you get a ways down the road, experience wise.

it will take a while before you are confident and commercially viable to charge good money.  Or you work for yourself and muddle through and learn from many mistakes.

it is one of those careers that can provide a comfortable life but it is hard work and I doubt many wood cutters will make a million.

good luck and give it a go.  As Treequip said, it will certainly test your mettle on those windy days, pissing hard with rain and your thinking wtf am I up here for?

• Like 2

a mate of mine recently left the Army. He did all his tickets as part of his resettlement training and jumped in with both feet, saws, truck, climb kit. He quickly realised he lacked the experience to get out there, win jobs and do them quickly enough to make money. He sold up and became a scaffolder. He now makes more money a day than a fully experienced freelance climber at the top end.

Thats the way the job is. I always tell new blokes...expect to earn next to nothing for the first couple of years...then just enough thereafter!. If it pays the bills and your overheads...your doing alright. Its a great trade...but if its money your after...look elsewhere. Tree work is a hard dollar.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info guys.

I really just want to get involved in an outdoors job where I could be close to nature, but it seems I would struggle financially if I get into this trade, which isn't good. I wasn't expecting huge income but enough to live comfortably, which doesn't seem to be the case.

Maybe I should reconsider.

Edited by Kingjolly

My route into tree work came via working as a gardener. Lawns first, then hedges. Bought cheap equipment, then bought good equipment. I could use a chainsaw so customers started asking for the odd branch or small tree to be removed. Eventually I was up a Leylandii on a ladder, rear handled saw and no harness. Then I decided to get the climbing ticket. Since then the sky's been the limit. I still do lawns and hedges. Lawns alone get me £8k a year, plus it puts me in residential areas where I can drop leaflets and speak to neighbours. I get most my tree work this way. After a few days climbing its nice just to cut lawns for a day.

Maybe that's a route you could take? Gets you outdoors, gets you income. Just take on whatever tree work you get. If its too big, get a climber in and you can do the clear up.  I have a computer science degree and have worked as a programmer and in computer repair. I make far more money doing treework. Plus I'm healthier and happier. You're 24, so you've time on your side. 

Edited by Bloom

Reconsider your choices...treework is difficult and can be very very challenging.

First couple of years i loved it...recently,over the last year or so i could easily count the days in one hand ive enjoyed my work.

Possibly thats just me but id really think bloody hard before i spent several thousand pounds on courses and kit.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kingjolly said:

Thanks for the info guys.

I really just want to get involved in an outdoors job where I could be close to nature,

What do you want from being close to nature? Most tree work involves cutting bits off or felling to appiese people so this industry is closer to 2 stroke saws and diesel chippers  than it is to nature.

You can make a living but its not going to be easy, particularly as a beginner 

• Like 3