Today’s Budget

WesD

15 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

I think the point the fella was making was a cost benefits analysis..  why invest in exotic materials when we already have cheaper options to hand...  I haven't a clue about Nissan or their batteries, perhaps I might see if I can find out what their game is..  could just be a gimmick as far as I know.   wouldn't be the first time manufacturers sell on peoples perceptions..  If customers imagine its a graphene battery perhaps they imagine it might be better..  who knows..  perhaps they've got better miles per charge because they've lowered the weight of the car?.

I think the likes of Nissan want something that works. Graphene or something else they won’t care as long as it makes the cars sell!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Richard 1234 said:

I think the likes of Nissan want something that works. Graphene or something else they won’t care as long as it makes the cars sell!

Has it crossed your mind why a car manufacturer might want to go from petroleum to battery power?..  after all, petrol cars are much more efficient..

One kilo of petrol will get you a good way, a kilo of batteries might just about get the car off the drive...

I can see the utility of battery power to store hydro or other renewable power sources but cars?... waste of time if your asking me..

Lithium battery tech will take off in a few years, they've discovered a way to increase the number of charge cycles from 300ish to tens of thousands. The only thing limiting batteries right now is the life span, so that you have to replace them after five years or so. For folks who dont travel far from home, a battery vehicle would be ideal - cheap to run, quiet so you can hear your tunes better, reliable.

Has it crossed your mind why a car manufacturer might want to go from petroleum to battery power?..  after all, petrol cars are much more efficient..
One kilo of petrol will get you a good way, a kilo of batteries might just about get the car off the drive...

I can see the utility of battery power to store hydro or other renewable power sources but cars?... waste of time if your asking me..

4 reasons spring to mind.
1 the oil won’t be cheap enough forever
2 governments will make the tax too high to be able to drive using petrol anymore.
3 environmentalists will win the argument in the end and get all the emissions at power stations instead of coming out the back of vehicles!
4 the above mean they need to change to stay in business

So no more battery development possible according to Vespasian

0-60 in 1.8 seconds and 500 mile range according to Elon Musk

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/883535/Tesla-Roadster-top-speed-rival-performance-0-60mph

And of course to continue the debunking of Musk it would be impossible to make a reusable rocket that could actually link up with the ISS because all those scientists at NASA must be more brilliant, and Burt Rutan could never invent a space ship which could turn its engines to slow it down so it did not heat up on re-entry or create an aircraft that could fly around the world non stop.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Lithium battery tech will take off in a few years, they've discovered a way to increase the number of charge cycles from 300ish to tens of thousands. The only thing limiting batteries right now is the life span, so that you have to replace them after five years or so. For folks who dont travel far from home, a battery vehicle would be ideal - cheap to run, quiet so you can hear your tunes better, reliable.

They've discovered ?.. in theory they might have have discovered something but putting that to a practical application might be something of a challenge.

11 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

4 reasons spring to mind.
1 the oil won’t be cheap enough forever
2 governments will make the tax too high to be able to drive using petrol anymore.
3 environmentalists will win the argument in the end and get all the emissions at power stations instead of coming out the back of vehicles!
4 the above mean they need to change to stay in business

The reason why EV's are being promoted is in regards energy conservation. You're right, oil wont be cheap forever..  putting aside tax on fuel which by the way will be inched down in the next decade not increased..  

The reason is every year we discover less and less new oil fields...   its all about conserving what oil we know we have, and how long we can expect that oil to last..   the most cost effective way to stretch out the oil we have, is to conserve it.  one way is in the form of EV's..

So, expect EV's to take off exponentially in the next decade..  but, don't expect battery power to become more efficient..   it'll be cars for round towns and trains for the longer journeys, unless you fancy joining a que a mile long to recharge somewhere in the middle of nowhere..

Just as an aside, Why HS2?..    because its gonna be needed for the extra traffic projected to be used by people using public transport..

2 hours ago, Vespasian said:

The reason why EV's are being promoted is in regards energy conservation. You're right, oil wont be cheap forever..  putting aside tax on fuel which by the way will be inched down in the next decade not increased..  

The reason is every year we discover less and less new oil fields...   its all about conserving what oil we know we have, and how long we can expect that oil to last..   the most cost effective way to stretch out the oil we have, is to conserve it.  one way is in the form of EV's..

So, expect EV's to take off exponentially in the next decade..  but, don't expect battery power to become more efficient..   it'll be cars for round towns and trains for the longer journeys, unless you fancy joining a que a mile long to recharge somewhere in the middle of nowhere..

Just as an aside, Why HS2?..    because its gonna be needed for the extra traffic projected to be used by people using public transport..

Just as an aside I think your reasoning for HS2 is miles wide of the mark.

I think batteries will get more efficient.
Saving the oil I agree as well as it’s used for far more than fuel.
HS2 is daft in my eyes I can’t see how getting to and from all the places it’s going 15-20 mins quicker is worth all the bother and expense of building it but that’s just me as I live nowhere near it and will never use it.
I think many towns and cities would be better served improving links around them and to the main rail lines we already have.
Or down the south west they could do with better roads and east anglia the same all the way up the coast to hull and beyond.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Just as an aside I think your reasoning for HS2 is miles wide of the mark.

OK if its about congestion why not widen the motorways or build some more roads?...  why the interest in railways all of a sudden?..

Because, like RV's they wont be running on petrol or diesel..  every little helps, or will help..