Cutting Fallen trees from public footpaths?

chuck norris

I guess it would be up to the landowner or council to clear the Tree to make it safe and clear the path.
I know of one fallen tree in a woods I work in that has been left by the landowner to stop 4x4s driving up, but you can still walk under it.
Why do you want to clear it?

I guess it would be up to the landowner or council to clear the Tree to make it safe and clear the path.I know of one fallen tree in a woods I work in that has been left by the landowner to stop 4x4s driving up, but you can still walk under it.

Why do you want to clear it?

I know it is the council/land owners responsibility, but they don't seem to care. I want to clear it because I walk my dog on the path daily, and it is a real pain to get past/over it.

I doubt it has been left intentionally since there is not a chance, of anyone getting a 4x4 up.

• Like 1

If you're working in the wood/coppice/forest, then I don't see a problem. If you happen to be walking through, find a tree blocking the way and think, "Hmm. I'll pop back with a chainsaw and move that." Then there may be a slight problem.

I am not working it the woodland, it is just a path I use daily to walk my dog. I would guess the woodland is not managed, since it is on a slope, has multiple public foot path and has no timber of any value.
So in this situation where the council/land owner clearly do not care to do anything, do you think it is acceptable to clear the tree from the path, since it is both a nuisance and a hazard?

6 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Just be discreet about it, handsawing instead of chainsaw, wait for darkness.

One has every right to remove sufficient of an obstruction to enable one to walk past it, this does not give one the right to remove the obstacle from the whole path. I don't know the rights or wrongs of using a chainsaw to do it but I'd be happy to do it with a handsaw.

You could see if the council have appointed a volunteer path warden for this path and offer to do it.

Our local Ramblers footpath secretary liaises with the county  council, whose rights of way budget has been reduced from £500k/annum to £100k/annum, and they cover volunteers for insurance purposes to deveg footpaths (no power tools though).

Myself, depending on location, I'd just do it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

I am not working it the woodland, it is just a path I use daily to walk my dog. I would guess the woodland is not managed, since it is on a slope, has multiple public foot path and has no timber of any value.
So in this situation where the council/land owner clearly do not care to do anything, do you think it is acceptable to clear the tree from the path, since it is both a nuisance and a hazard?

why don't you report it to the council,they are obligated to keep public footpaths clear 

why don't you report it to the council,they are obligated to keep public footpaths clear 

Yes they are, but that doesn't change the fact that they don't do any work on any footpaths, outside of the town. Trees falling on paths and just being left blocking them, is very common in my area. the only reason I am considering moving this one is that I have been climbing over it every day for A month.