Branch Logger Stolen Urban SM70 no 994

Billhook

Lincolnshire.  Spilsby Area

Some time over the weekend, probably Sunday night they came into the farm yard past three houses with tenants who have dogs and heard nothing.

Smashed padlocks and opened the main doors of three sheds.   Took the Urban Branch logger, the one with its own engine and small castor wheels at one end.  Bought new in March 2016.

Took 200 amp battery charger  and a really heavy old  blacksmith's anvil.  They struggled with that through doors and passages at the back of the workshop.  I have not yet had time to check on tools and other items.

Just spoken to Welmac and he has only sold four SM70s in the whole uk and this is the only one in Lincolnshire

They may have mistaken it for a shredder

This is a video of an early model with a different hopper .  The later model has a safety cut out bar around the hopper and mine had a Briggs & Stratton electric start.

• 1 month later...

Feel sympathy for all those who have had a workshop burglary as it is often several months later before you notice that something else was nicked.  Even something as obvious as this splitter.

Chainsaws and other everyday items are more apparent.

The trouble being that it has been behind a wood box in our garage and has not been used there since I last had a big session filling several boxes.

I went to look for it there and it had gone, then I remembered that I took it down to the workshop to build a cradle for it to sit in the teleporter bucket and had put it in the workshop store standing up behind a door.

So it disappeared with the branch logger.  The insurance will add it to the initial claim without excess.

The police say that the Newark jumble sales is one of the places to look as well as Brigg.

Here is a video of it.  It does not look that powerful but it worked well to split smaller bits for our Aduro stove and my wife could work it easily so we miss it.

On 06/01/2018 at 10:50, Billhook said:

Feel sympathy for all those who have had a workshop burglary as it is often several months later before you notice that something else was nicked.  Even something as obvious as this splitter.

Chainsaws and other everyday items are more apparent.

The trouble being that it has been behind a wood box in our garage and has not been used there since I last had a big session filling several boxes.

I went to look for it there and it had gone, then I remembered that I took it down to the workshop to build a cradle for it to sit in the teleporter bucket and had put it in the workshop store standing up behind a door.

So it disappeared with the branch logger.  The insurance will add it to the initial claim without excess.

The police say that the Newark jumble sales is one of the places to look as well as Brigg.

Here is a video of it.  It does not look that powerful but it worked well to split smaller bits for our Aduro stove and my wife could work it easily so we miss it.

I brought ome of those to split old fence posts into kindling. Its super fast, but the thin stuff does get jammed under the ram occasionally

7 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

I brought ome of those to split old fence posts into kindling. Its super fast, but the thin stuff does get jammed under the ram occasionally

It suited us just fine for the small splits for the Aduro stove.  Never had a jam but the occasional kickback if you did not hold it firmly.

Not very good video .  I have learnt to put the phone sideways for future filming rather than vertically!

Is the 7 ton version from Jones any different?

23 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

i only  got the 5 tonne, as i thought it was man enough for kindling.

going to try it on some decent size logs in the spring

i see rockwood machinery do a 30tonne one!

I have had a look around at some of the others but many are one handed and potentially dangerous.  They all seem a little slower than the Portek

The Little five ton Portek was just fine for the particular job we wanted it for, so I think I will go for another one  and as an additional bonus they are now rated at 7 tons.

Here are some of the others,

Kinetic Log Splitters

Oregon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5mmx6Rn3lo

DR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W66YcaJfqhI

Supersplit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQf16bGKgo

Rockwood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CbydMx9eQw

37 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Hope your poor run on luck comes to an end. 

Wishing you a better 2018

Thanks for that and the post from AHPP.    Wishing you all the Best for 2018 as well.

It is a rotten thing to be burgled and leaves a feeling of violation which is greater than the actual loss of replaceable items.

And this was only in the farm workshop which is far less personal than the home.  I had the misfortune to be massively burgled back in 1991 when I was abroad.   They came with a lorry and cleaned the whole house out, furniture, tools, the old Grandfather Clock, William Ward of Spilsby which had been in the house since the late 1700s.  It had a rocking Galleon above the 12 o'clock mark should any of you guys  ever see it.  My grandma used to put me on a stool when I was very small to wind it up as a special treat if I had been good (not very often!)

My Fender Stratocaster left hand maple neck 1968 which was a 21st birthday present.  Plus all the heavy old Marshall Amps and speakers

Dining tables, chairs, large corner cupboard but they left all the pictures and paintings and broke open the gun cabinet but left the guns.

My birds egg collection (bizarre thing to nick) collected by my Gt Grandfather in the days when you did a lot of that sort of thing.  Cromwellian armour, pewter mugs, an 18th century blunderbuss, a Japanese officer's sword in fact a raft of unique items including a dozen Persian rugs which I had photographed and not one item has reappeared.  It really was a lorry load!

So I really know the feelings that all you guys are going through who have had things taken,  but I have to count my blessings.  Nobody was hurt in these incidents and I have had my fair share of good luck to balance everything.

Well set up now with CCTV everywhere linked to the iphone, bit of closing the door after the horse has bolted, but at least I feel I can ring neighbours and the police if I am away and tell them exactly what is happening and where to look.