Risk assessments

tony_t3d

13 hours ago, tony_t3d said:

Again this is possibly something different to the civilian way of doing it but the military work off 3 types of risk assessment.

Specific : if it is a one off. You will make a risk assessment specific to that exercise

Generic: 1 risk assessment that covers that exercise no matter how many times it takes place.

Dynamic: is an addition to the above should anything arise that was not planned in generic or specific risk assessments this can be recorded post event.

This is my confusion. I think I need to speak to a H&S rep for clarity.

The general RA requirement under the 'Management Regs' is "suitable and sufficient"...and hence may be a combination of all of the above.

However, the norm is generics for, for instance, chainsaw use / woodchippers, i.e. used on a regular basis, PLUS site specific to capture, for instance, uneven / slippery ground / neighbours greenhouse / shed (HSE don't generally accept the 'dynamic' element even in storm conditions recognising it's an armed services / emergency services facility really.)

If you 'employ' more than 5 people it has to be recorded, i.e. written, but even if fewer than  5 complex activities should also be recorded (insurance companies expect it anyway.)

The key challenge is making the RA process a useful insight into making the job safer, and hopefully more proficient, and NOT simple a paperwork exercise...good luck

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Re Paul's comment about making a useful process. I try to get the guy that works with me to help write them and identify risks and measures to address them - to help him understand RA and the measures we put in place. However his engagement with it is limited! I keep trying to encourage him be more aware of risks etc, he still has a way to go in that area.

• 3 weeks later...
The general RA requirement under the 'Management Regs' is "suitable and sufficient"...and hence may be a combination of all of the above.

However, the norm is generics for, for instance, chainsaw use / woodchippers, i.e. used on a regular basis, PLUS site specific to capture, for instance, uneven / slippery ground / neighbours greenhouse / shed (HSE don't generally accept the 'dynamic' element even in storm conditions recognising it's an armed services / emergency services facility really.)

If you 'employ' more than 5 people it has to be recorded, i.e. written, but even if fewer than  5 complex activities should also be recorded (insurance companies expect it anyway.)

The key challenge is making the RA process a useful insight into making the job safer, and hopefully more proficient, and NOT simple a paperwork exercise...good luck

Regards,
Paul

Where can I do a course on risk assessments please mate?

11 hours ago, jamesd said:

Where can i get hold of a generic risk assessment? had a look on the aa website and it seems you have to be a member to access their downloads?

Yep, the previously open resource is now a Member Benefit, for the majority of stuff, and they start at Ordinary Grade (£65 per year.)

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Paul

10 hours ago, James Atkinson said:

Where can I do a course on risk assessments please mate?

Hi there,

Many organizations and H&S practices offer H&S training including risk assessment. However if you're looking for one with an 'industry specific' flavor we offer them too (see https://www.trees.org.uk/Training-And-Events )

Regards,

Paul