Risk assessments

tony_t3d

So as I have mentioned in previous threads I am contemplating setting up my own business Im this industry. I have dealt with risk assessments as a Physical Training Instructor in the Army every lesson had to have one done but these were always generic to that lesson. Ie if I done a circuit class u had 1 risk assessment for circuits not one for each Individual lesson.

My question is how similar is the approach needed in this industry as obviously every tree every garden every single job is wildly different does each job require its own risk assessment or does 1 generic one cover you so long as it's updated as and when required?

15 minutes ago, farmer rod said:

Sorry for the hijack, but what happens if there is a mishap that is not foreseen as a risk in a risk assessment ?

I once worked with a guy who had filled out the risk assessment.  When I got up the tree I noticed something on the far side of the bridge wall that the tree was overhanging, turned out to be a gas main.  I asked why he hadn't added it to the risk assessment, his reply was 'I didn't see it as a risk' 9_9

If theres a mishap that you didnt 'forsee' on the risk assessment, you can be sure that H&S, the insurance companies and anyone else, won't see that as a valid excuse!

• Like 2

Sorry for the hijack, but what happens if there is a mishap that is not foreseen as a risk in a risk assessment ?

Again this is possibly something different to the civilian way of doing it but the military work off 3 types of risk assessment.

Specific : if it is a one off. You will make a risk assessment specific to that exercise

Generic: 1 risk assessment that covers that exercise no matter how many times it takes place.

Dynamic: is an addition to the above should anything arise that was not planned in generic or specific risk assessments this can be recorded post event.

This is my confusion. I think I need to speak to a H&S rep for clarity.

3 hours ago, farmer rod said:

I think it depends if the risk was foreseeable to a competent person. If someone is injured by something like power cables it's interview under caution with the HSE time. If someone is injured by a falling meteorite I can't see anything happening.

• Like 1

I use a generic risk assessment RA for using saws etc, think it was off the AA site. Then do a written site specific one as needed, ie tree is very near a house. In the specific one I would state stuff like lowering limbs rather than freefall, cutting small sections that can be easy handled in the tree etc.

• Like 1

I use a generic risk assessment RA for using saws etc, think it was off the AA site. Then do a written site specific one as needed, ie tree is very near a house. In the specific one I would state stuff like lowering limbs rather than freefall, cutting small sections that can be easy handled in the tree etc.

That makes sense. I suppose it only takes 10 mins to knock one up pre job. So long as you ha e had a good chance to survey the site
  • Like 1