Stupid mistakes you've made doing tree work

Steve Bullman

Was stood on the towbar of a really ghetto forwarder on some rather uneven ground, lifting a load of ash stems. Forgot to put the legs down and got a bit keen with the lift and the forwarder started to roll in slow motion. I had to jump off in the direction of the roll while the bastard thing tipped over.

• Like 1

RTA implies it is an " accident " and no one is to blame .  RTC says its a " crash " and someone is to blame  ?

Spot on Stubby, we have it preached to us at work all the time, they tell us that all accidents are preventable. But i disagree, the actual given meaning of a accident is......

“an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury”

So by wearing ppe and behaving beyond the safest of safest ways that can be, a accident can still occur, or the meaning wouldnt exist.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Spot on Stubby, we have it preached to us at work all the time, they tell us that all accidents are preventable. But i disagree, the actual given meaning of a accident is......

“an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury”

So by wearing ppe and behaving beyond the safest of safest ways that can be, a accident can still occur, or the meaning wouldnt exist.

To be honest my missus is ex job and I asked her ...?

6 hours ago, maybelateron said:

Winches can be wonderful at times......

What is a lot easier than deflating the tyres and messing about with a winch, is just sticking it into reverse gear and backing out!

I videoed it because it was odd even to me that six wheel drive would be brought to a halt by such a small rut

It was not the Landie or the driver but the soil and its particular state that beat us.  Earlier I had just managed to get the Matbro stuck in the same place .  Now that had four wheel drive and limited slip diffs and new tractor tread tyres.  The downside is that it weighs about eight tons

The saving grace is that you can push yourself out of trouble by extending the boom.

Bingo!, 'cept collision rather than crash, but the logic is the same in any other occupation.

P.S.

A little known, but related fact, is the fact that Northern Ireland led the way in self driving car technology some 40 odd year ago.

Well, based on  the number of people I heard way back then explaining that; "the car just skidded", or "the car just left the road" etc etc

After they had crashed due to driving without due care and attention

6 hours ago, Adam M said:

Was stood on the towbar of a really ghetto forwarder on some rather uneven ground, lifting a load of ash stems. Forgot to put the legs down and got a bit keen with the lift and the forwarder started to roll in slow motion. I had to jump off in the direction of the roll while the bastard thing tipped over.

I too managed that on a hard paved yard, and for an ould done codger of 55 odd I well surprised myself at how my body reacted, jumped(from a high mounted seat) rolled and bounced up again.

But I could as easily got hurt, perhaps quite badly.

And, as someone earlier pointed out, we only learn from our mistakes.

• Like 1