Stupid mistakes you've made doing tree work

Steve Bullman

16 hours ago, Billhook said:

Here is a clip I took of the Sandringham 6 with five wheels turning on a level ground and enough room underneath for me to crawl under.  The tyres look like slicks but they were nearly new and just filled with a very sticky clay!

If you're gonna end up in mud, ya need to have much less air in the tyres. LIke 8-10psi. Just enough to keep the thing coming off the rim.

Took on a massive connie reduction at a school. A weeks worth, two groundies, chips left on site, and genie mewp. Mewp was late getting to site, then it got stuck but it was supposedly 4wd. Already behind, i rushed  to start cutting the tops out, fearing the deadline looming,  i forgot to put on safety trousers. As i was cutting, i looked down to see some of my trousers going round the chainsaw chain, i then looked further to see i had cut a chunk out of my shin bone.

Came down, called an ambulance, lads panicked, i remained calm.

A week in hospital and 2 operations later, i was back home the night before i was moving house! Had the cut been a few mm above,it would have been my tendons gone!

Lesson learnt. Always wear trousers, and dont rush

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Took on a massive connie reduction at a school. A weeks worth, two groundies, chips left on site, and genie mewp. Mewp was late getting to site, then it got stuck but it was supposedly 4wd. Already behind, i rushed  to start cutting the tops out, fearing the deadline looming,  i forgot to put on safety trousers. As i was cutting, i looked down to see some of my trousers going round the chainsaw chain, i then looked further to see i had cut a chunk out of my shin bone.

Came down, called an ambulance, lads panicked, i remained calm.

A week in hospital and 2 operations later, i was back home the night before i was moving house! Had the cut been a few mm above,it would have been my tendons gone!

Lesson learnt. Always wear trousers, and dont rush

The rule of 4 H's, something I tell any newbies working with us:

You have 4 choices of destination at the end of the day's work:

1) Home

2) Hospital

3) Heaven

4) Hell

It makes the point.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

The rule of 4 H's, something I tell any newbies working with us:

You have 4 choices of destination at the end of the day's work:

1) Home

2) Hospital

3) Heaven

4) Hell

It makes the point.

Your sayin you chose to have an accident and go to hospital at the end of the day?

If the point is you have a choice to have an accident or not then the points is bollocks!

The fact accidents are called accidents tells you its unintentional.

Think you missed the point here.

1) I didn't have to go to hospital for anything (you used past tense "chose")

2) There is some degree of choice in that people can choose to work sensibly and safely, or take stupid risks.

It also makes the point to newbies, or idiots (not saying newbies are idiots!)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Think you missed the point here.

1) I didn't have to go to hospital for anything (you used past tense "chose")

2) There is some degree of choice in that people can choose to work sensibly and safely, or take stupid risks.

It also makes the point to newbies, or idiots (not saying newbies are idiots!)

Yeah we aint goin to agree on this one big boy.Im of the opinion that we can adhere to all the safety regulations,were ppe and apply all the common sense in the world but accidents still happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Yeah we aint goin to agree on this one big boy.Im of the opinion that we can adhere to all the safety regulations,were ppe and apply all the common sense in the world but accidents still happen.

I agree with you entirely on that point, only an idiot would disagree. You can still choose to work dangerously or sensibly.

Not sure why I am big boy?