Stupid mistakes you've made doing tree work

Steve Bullman

There is a reason rigging lines are spliced big as opposed to climb lines.  Rigging lines are more often than not subject to some form of shock loading.  The additional length of the rope forming the eye helps to absorb some of the force generated in rigging.  Whereas a climb line, not so much.

Use the rigging line as it is with a splice and either use a cable tie to cinch a crab or use one of those rubber things arb supplier sell the keep a bina captive, or even a bit of bicycle inner tube cut off and wrapped around the eye.

All becomes clear!

13 hours ago, tony_t3d said:

Iv done a similar thing. We was taking down some large white poplar that had grown over the roof of a building great access for a MEWP. We was doubled up in the basket one cutting the other throwing the cut stuff clear of the building.

Million to one shot! One of the branches hit the emergency stop button whilst we was at full extension. We couldn't override it from the basket had to be done from the ground.... Mobile phone out and ring for help emoji23.pngemoji23.png luckily was only a 20 min wait and alot of p*ss taking!

this is where a emergency rope and descender would have been handy

• Like 1

Not sure if this is allowed because I didn't get away with it!? Last Thursday dismantling a thirty odd foot lone multi stemmed Leylandi, I cracked a rib.

Two errors lead to the injury, one wearing gloves something I never do when climbing but it was cold and little pinkies were cold, two I didn't sned properly and left a one inch long half inch thick little peg.

I felled a top just below this peg and thought I will be nice and flick the butt end towards the chipper for the lads. Glove gets caught on peg I can't shake it off in the half second I had to do so and the lump pulls me down onto the felling cut I've just done. I then hear a lovely sound like a pencil snapping in my left lung. 

Do I feel stupid yes, does it hurt yes, will I wear gloves and leave pegs again probably when the memory of this bloody pain fades! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Ouch! 

Aye it's a touch uncomfortable!

The worst bit was today being on site whilst the lads dismantled a sycamore, and being told feck off boss constantly when I tried to help, they won't let me do anything. The guilt of not mucking in hurts more than than the cracked rib!

• Like 1