Stupid mistakes you've made doing tree work

Steve Bullman

On 21/02/2018 at 02:51, TIMON said:

Quoting a conny hedge reduction without having a good look in the hedge first.

Good old hedge reduction bank account destruction. Done it at least twice. Easily done and though I'm new to tree work I've done 100s of hedge jobs. 

On my own mistakes.... The list is endless up until my 30's, ....with a gradual reduction. I fear, now going slowly into tree work, the graph is going to spike quite badly. 

• Like 1

Cut through the working end of my main line, (nearly new tachyon) while working my way up de-limbing a single stem leylandi. I always tie in twice, but this time rather than having my lines waist high and cutting above, I ignored that ‘still small voice’ in my head and put my line in above where I was cutting. Like I said, I always tie in twice, I’d probably be posting this from a hospital bed otherwise.
I would say this mistake definitely qualifies as ‘stupid’ [emoji31]

Good old hedge reduction bank account destruction. Done it at least twice. Easily done and though I'm new to tree work I've done 100s of hedge jobs. 

On my own mistakes.... The list is endless up until my 30's, ....with a gradual reduction. I fear, now going slowly into tree work, the graph is going to spike quite badly. 

You know the saying... “the worse a tree surgeon , the better you get at fence repairs.”

It’s when you have to learn how to (re) build conservatory’s you know its time to jack it in....
  • Like 4

I once put a new 700mm circular saw blade on my Palax.  It had 60 tungsten teeth.   I had moved it to another place in the yard and the chap who was helping me had a degree or two but like many academics was not very practical

I told him to start processing some straight lengths of Ash while I went off with the forking lift to collect some more.

I came back with a load to discover that he had not processed anything but there was a cloud of smoke coming from the machine where he was forcing the log onto the blade.  

"Its not cutting" he says stating the obvious.

The three phase power point had the wires in a different order and the saw blade was running backwards,  By forcing the wood onto the blade he managed to remove nearly all of the 60 teeth!  And yet he was still standing there trying to force the log onto a toothless blade with the log beginning to catch fire!

My stupidity for not checking the rotation beforehand I suppose but you would have thought that anyone with an ounce of sense would have realised the problem straight away.

The blade cost nearly £250 and I think to re tooth it would cost more.

• Like 1

I was cleaning around a big Scots to fell and there was a bit of hazel under pressure. I knew in my head what was going to happen but I still continued... I cut it off and BANG!! It sprung up hit me right on the chin and literally sat me on my Ar**

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Funny this has come up today as i ucliped my mainline to move anchor,noved anchor,didnt reattatch the zigzag to my bridge ring,was about to unclip my lanyard and sit back when i noticed...

Done this a few times...

Still makes me angry at myself...

Dick!

The fact you are still double checking before unclipping can only be a good sign 

• Like 4

Was stump grinding a row of conifer stumps next to a greenhouse... had the guards round the machine the whole time and there was no problem.Until I was finished grinding and giving it a final rake over to level the soil I decided to chuck the bucket I was using to take away lose roots next to the green house and It rolled right through it .... all that work avoiding it for nothing haha !!

• Like 2