any one available to mill large london plane just off A3 london, SW15 4NN

JoBuck

any one available to mill large london plane just off A3 london,  SW15 4NN. needs to be done this thursday/friday/saturday. 

either to include removal of planks or just to mill and i'll keep and store.

Can have extra guys on site to help shift planks etc

circumference ~ 340 cm at chest height, tall main stem so could be 10m of usable lengths but advice welcomed! (i'm keen on getting a mill asap but thought i could learn from someone on site first but if no one available happy to try it my self after some advice from others on here (i have watched a few others in the past but could do with a refresher!)

please message me with prices , 07771898887

best wishes

jo

Photos (8).zip

20171118_110545.jpg

20171118_110550.jpg

20171118_110044.jpg

3 hours ago, Ilnumero said:

Those are going to be very heavy boards. I milled some, 3'6" wide by 10' long, 2 1/2" thick.  They weighed 350kg each, took five of us to get them into the workshop. Plane is a really dense timber so you might need some lifting gear for that job.

plane tree is not dense wood, your boards must have been still wet as that works out at 48lbft3 whereas on average plane sits at about 35lbft3 when dry.

what did you make from boards that size?

On 11/19/2017 at 17:18, Ilnumero said:

Those are going to be very heavy boards. I milled some, 3'6" wide by 10' long, 2 1/2" thick.  They weighed 350kg each, took five of us to get them into the workshop. Plane is a really dense timber so you might need some lifting gear for that job.

Not to be a pedant, but boards that size I'd put at 190kg. That's on the basis of the boards being about 7.3 cubic foot, and 26kg per cubic foot (just over 900kg per cubic metre). 350kg would mean it wasn't far off the density of concrete. 

On 11/19/2017 at 20:39, se7enthdevil said:

your boards must have been still wet 

what did you make from boards that size?

The stem was milled 3 months after the tree was taken down, so still soaking wet. 

I milled through-and-through with a natural edge for table tops. I got 7 really well-figured ones from around the centre of the tree. Sold 6, just one left.

4 hours ago, Big J said:

Not to be a pedant, but boards that size I'd put at 190kg. That's on the basis of the boards being about 7.3 cubic foot, and 26kg per cubic foot (just over 900kg per cubic metre). 350kg would mean it wasn't far off the density of concrete. 

Just a guess, based on the fact that four of us blokes had difficulty lifting each board. They certainly felt like we were lifting much more than 50kg each.

I also have a pressure guage on the Hiab that gives a kind of indication of the load on the cylinder. Please bear in mind, John, that they were soaking wet too, just milled 3 months after felling.

Thick boards are very difficult to grip, and given that weight of an object is determined (mentally) by ease of grip, it may have skewed it. 

I've yet to come across a timber in the UK that sinks in water, even if completely freshly felled. If the 42" by 120" by 2.5" boards had the same density as water, they'd still only weigh 206kg per slab. Obviously still a heavy lift, but fairly manageable for four guys. 

I am a bit particular about weights and measures. I like to know what I'm lifting before I lift it so tend to always work it out. Having done that for many years now, I can usually reasonably accurately guess, though in the timber game it's just different degrees of stupidly heavy!

• Like 1