Mini digger or avant type loader

Johny Walker

3 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

It’s a fair point- I know that tractors and backhoes have drawbacks in terms of speed- but just playing devils advocate here as recently I have been giving this a bit  of thought, a loaded truck and trailer isn’t exactly quick either, on top of this you have to load it all up at the yard, unload it at site, risk not getting truck and trailer across a wet field then find somewhere to put truck, plus all over again at the end of the day. A tractor whilst slower on the road will probably make up the time through saving the faffing around with unloading etc. 

Its always that thing of trying to find a machine that has as many uses as possible, particularly in this game as jobs and sites vary so much from day to day

Without opening "that" particular can of worms....  Aren't there "issues" with road miles / legality of transiting with a tractor?  I know it's generally ignored (and hardly ever enforced - particularly out in the sticks)....

In fact, I'm already wishing I hadn't asked :D 

53 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Without opening "that" particular can of worms....  Aren't there "issues" with road miles / legality of transiting with a tractor?  I know it's generally ignored (and hardly ever enforced - particularly out in the sticks)....

In fact, I'm already wishing I hadn't asked :D 

Oh yes, most definitely! Actually I once phoned up VOSA and asked exactly what would I have to do to run my tractor all above board as a contractor, basically it would have to be reregisterd non Ag then treated much like running a 7.5t on a restricted operators license. Iv never heard of anyone actually doing this mind but I think running on white is probably safest bet and also keep maintenance records to prove you are keeping your tractor in a roadworthy condition.

None of this is really enforced until you have an incident of some kind then it all may come crashing down around you!

• 2 years later...
Definitely digger with rotating grab then- uv got 360 degree in the grab and 360 on the machine- means a lot less moving around- if your on more sensitive sights you can track in straight lines and let the rotating bits do all the work to save the ground a bit. The loaders will lift more undoubtedly for their size, but IMO they look pretty numb for feeding chippers etc.

theyre also good at doing site work,levelling chip and pulling trees over, with the blade down they make a nice controlled ‘winch’, plucking smaller stumps out etc etc.

2.6ton is ideal if it’s more sites than gardens and can still tow behind truck.

Hi Mathew

What is your rotator grab? I have a manual grab on a 2.6t jcb looking to change.
Thank you

Digger 

I think them loaders are a one trick pony, you can lift wood and that’s it, 

for handling brash, stacking logs a digger is better every time, you be surprised how big a lump you can shift with a 3 tonner if you use the blade as well, 

i used a avant a fair amount when I worked in oz were great for big lumps of timber in big gardens but struggle to see there use here 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, roseyweb said:

Digger 

for handling brash, stacking logs a digger is better every time, you be surprised how big a lump you can shift with a 3 tonner if you use the blade as well, 

i used a avant a fair amount when I worked in oz were great for big lumps of timber in big gardens but struggle to see there use here 

The Multione/Avant type loaders have the potential to be a lot of things. With a lot more hydraulic flow than a similar sized digger, they can be a decent flail mower carrier, for example. Trouble is, the attachments are mega bucks too.

Its horses for courses. If you need to lift and carry, nothing beats a mini loader. For digging or drilling holes, collecting and loading brash a short distance onto a fire, stacking timber, knocking in posts, flail mowing on a bank, a digger can be a cost effective tool carrier too.

When I first set up, I was all set to get an Avant. I didn't get the job that would have almost paid for it, and I got offered a digger on finance from mentor. The rest is history- I went down the digger route, and now I have micro to 2.7t, with every attachment under the sun. I love the look of the mini loaders, but I really can't think of a job I do where they would be much of a help, certainly not £30k plus worth of help.

But that's my business model, and everyone's is different.

2 hours ago, Ilex said:

Hi Mathew

What is your rotator grab? I have a manual grab on a 2.6t jcb looking to change.
Thank you

I have a Intermecatto Tigergrip TR16 SR5 with rotator on a 2.7t Bobcat. It's a different league. Being able to rotate is a total gamechanger. Had a reccomendation for the Tigergrip from Eddie on here- they're not expensive (certainly cheaper any of the alternatives!) Think I paid 2.5k plus VAT for the grab and rotator from Approved Hydraulics. Had other quotes of 4k plus. Daft.

I still run a grapple on the 1.7t and the micro digger, but that's with a hydraulic stay to give more flexibility. I appreciate the grapple for being twenty times better than a thumb, and a thousand times better than a bucket, but the only reason I still run it is because those machines aren't big enough to handle a grab and rotator. Although I have a second hitch plate I made so that they can run the Tigergrip sans rotator if needed.

As you have a large enough machine to handle the rotator as well, I'd make the jump in a heartbeat. The only problem will be controlling it. If I were you, I'd plumb a divertor into the slew, so you could use the rotator and the grab at the same time. I have twin auxillaries, and I wouldn't fancy using it with just a button type divertor on a single service- too clumsy.

I have a Intermecatto Tigergrip TR16 SR5 with rotator on a 2.7t Bobcat. It's a different league. Being able to rotate is a total gamechanger. Had a reccomendation for the Tigergrip from Eddie on here- they're not expensive (certainly cheaper any of the alternatives!) Think I paid 2.5k plus VAT for the grab and rotator from Approved Hydraulics. Had other quotes of 4k plus. Daft.

I still run a grapple on the 1.7t and the micro digger, but that's with a hydraulic stay to give more flexibility. I appreciate the grapple for being twenty times better than a thumb, and a thousand times better than a bucket, but the only reason I still run it is because those machines aren't big enough to handle a grab and rotator. Although I have a second hitch plate I made so that they can run the Tigergrip sans rotator if needed.

As you have a large enough machine to handle the rotator as well, I'd make the jump in a heartbeat. The only problem will be controlling it. If I were you, I'd plumb a divertor into the slew, so you could use the rotator and the grab at the same time. I have twin auxillaries, and I wouldn't fancy using it with just a button type divertor on a single service- too clumsy.

I appreciate your advice. Take care

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2019 at 20:52, roseyweb said:

Digger 

I'd disagree here, so many potential uses - it depends on the work you get. I have a multione 7.3s and it has been a game changer for me. I use it for stacking logs, feeding the chipper, auger out holes for planting, running a chain trencher, sideshift flail for path edges on rights of way, shifting mulch and chip. Sometimes it only 15 minutes but I use it everyday for something.