Mini digger or avant type loader

Johny Walker

Using for what? Spinning timber around from a to b, brash handling/bonfires etc, digging I’d say mini digger. If it’s moving larger timbers over distance and more subtle on lawns than a loader may be better option...

All I will say is I pretty much run my buisness of the back of a 3 ton digger due to its versatility  with various attachments for my countryside services buisness. I can use it to clear scrub load fires with its grab. I run augers and post knockers of it for fencing and get loads of ditch cleaning work, landscaping projects too. So for me it is the ultimate Swiss Army knife. I’d like a loader, but I don’t consider them heavy duty enough for a lot of the terrain and application I would require them for so find a traditional agri tractor better suited- perhaps better value too?

but like I say depends what you want to do with it.

If we are talking about digging with a bucket on the front I would avoid the smaller Mulitone/Avant

Went to a demo of the Multione and it's very versatile and nimble but did not have a lot of push IMO. Probably not a problem if scrapping sand or wood chip of a concrete yard but digging a hole in the ground would of been hard going IMO. Our compact tractor that cost about half the price has a lot more push. I should add it was a short demo and only had forks on the front. Picking up a large lump of wood had all wheels spinning to get the forks underneath it. Once in it picked it up OK and had plenty of lifting power. Not getting one myself as it was no tractor replacement.

21K for something covered in fragile glass fibre panels that will get broken as soon as they see a log or stone seemed daft. 

Edited by Woodworks

I would echo Woodworks comments. I seriously considered an Avant or MO for my business but I was unimpressed with their pushing ability and off road abilities in a flat field (admittedly in winter). Also felt the MO and the Avant to a lesser extent was very plasticky. I ended up getting an Alpine tractor with a loader. It won't lift a huge amount but its off-road ability is second to none, pto attachments are relatively cheap and with a grab on the front it will push into a heap of brash in a wet field without the wheels spinning. For me it is the ideal tool but it is horses for courses and for many an Avant type loader would be the ideal tool.

Definitely digger with rotating grab then- uv got 360 degree in the grab and 360 on the machine- means a lot less moving around- if your on more sensitive sights you can track in straight lines and let the rotating bits do all the work to save the ground a bit. The loaders will lift more undoubtedly for their size, but IMO they look pretty numb for feeding chippers etc.

theyre also good at doing site work,levelling chip and pulling trees over, with the blade down they make a nice controlled ‘winch’, plucking smaller stumps out etc etc.

2.6ton is ideal if it’s more sites than gardens and can still tow behind truck.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

Before spending out so much try getting the different options on hire first. Will give you a better idea of practicality’s for every day use. 

I do have to disagree with the comments of a MultiOne/avant not being good off road. There’s not many terrians you can t go with them. And if need be use the boom. I find when doing demos for people they feel the need to put their foot down on pedal thus spinning the wheels when you really don t need too. With some practice you can go pretty much anywhere. My 5.3 MultiOne has the dynamic block system which is like a diff lock when used. This can also aid pushing force. I ve used mine pushing in piles of crushed concrete with out any issues. 

Like any machine practice makes makes perfect and sometimes in a demo you don t get a chance to get a good feel of the machine. 

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Compact Loaders said:

Before spending out so much try getting the different options on hire first. Will give you a better idea of practicality’s for every day use. 

I do have to disagree with the comments of a MultiOne/avant not being good off road. There’s not many terrians you can t go with them. And if need be use the boom. I find when doing demos for people they feel the need to put their foot down on pedal thus spinning the wheels when you really don t need too. With some practice you can go pretty much anywhere. My 5.3 MultiOne has the dynamic block system which is like a diff lock when used. This can also aid pushing force. I ve used mine pushing in piles of crushed concrete with out any issues. 

Like any machine practice makes makes perfect and sometimes in a demo you don t get a chance to get a good feel of the machine. 

DITTO,

Many times it is drivers of machines which make them look bad, moving brash over long distance loader wins hands down every time but if feeding chipper its got to be digger with grab.

Iv often thought a wheeled digger could make a good tool for site tree work- loader on front for chip, brash over distance. Arm on the back with rotator for timber work-chipper feeding. A good operator could make very efficient use of one.

I was thinking similar the other day, as much for yard work as site duties but I agree with what your saying, size could be a problem unless something like a 1cx on some jobs.

Anyone had a timber grab fitted to a back actor to see how well it works on a bit bigger model like a 3cx