Climbers death - kick back.

richy_B

8 hours ago, sime42 said:

Cheers mate. These don't seem to offer chainsaw protection so not quite what I was seeking. Though as someone else pointed out if they did then they would be far too hot and bulky and constrictive anyway. Ok if you work somewhere like northern Norway but otherwise not really practical.
Thinking about it;- it's far safer to be committed to safe work positioning and completely avoiding single handing or at least minimising the practice. Rather than trying to protect yourself from accidents that can potentially arise from back working practices. Its easy for me to say this, far harder to stick to all the time! I'm guilty of single handing sometimes, due to time pressures or just plain laziness. emoji21.png

Yes they do.

:confused1: The ones I've seen only go from your elbow to your wrist, not up to your shoulder.

You can get protective jackets that offer much more upper body protection.

Sorry I am obviously getting the 2 confused. I thought he ment jacket as its only the sleeve part that offer any protection.

I have never seen chainsaw sleeves

51 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

If doing the latest nptc for aerial pruning etc is it acceptable/ permitted  to one hand a saw ?

My understanding is that its only allowed when cutting at arms length from your body, when your other had is required for stability. 

For example when on the very end of a limb, when you are just taking the end off.

15 hours ago, Jon@CareFell said:

As the nose of the chainsaw can “run” along things if caught, could those arm protectors possibly make it worse if caught at the wrong angle? Someone catching there arm is rarely fatal, the neck is another story.

They are ballistic, so should clog the chain, I can't see a saw "running" up them, the saw will dig in. I'm sure your arm will still be injured, but much less than without them.

On 21/11/2017 at 23:06, sime42 said:

Cheers mate. These don't seem to offer chainsaw protection so not quite what I was seeking. Though as someone else pointed out if they did then they would be far too hot and bulky and constrictive anyway. Ok if you work somewhere like northern Norway but otherwise not really practical.
Thinking about it;- it's far safer to be committed to safe work positioning and completely avoiding single handing or at least minimising the practice. Rather than trying to protect yourself from accidents that can potentially arise from back working practices. Its easy for me to say this, far harder to stick to all the time! I'm guilty of single handing sometimes, due to time pressures or just plain laziness. emoji21.png

The arm sleeves are rated class 0 so they do offer some protection. I've had a pair for about 5 years and I like them, they are fine when its hot and its a fair bit warmer here in summer. I also had to buy my O/H a pair as she likes them for when were doing hedge work together :D ...cutting that is.

Edited by NFG

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:25, Joe Newton said:

Katie, whilst good first aid training is vital, is simply not the issue here. A fatally injured climber at 50' has a far better chance of self rescue that waiting for a climber to reach then and administer inadequate first aid at height.

Have you tried applying a pressure bandage at height with one hand?

Hi Jo. I understand your point but surely this comes down to training?! I spent 3 years with Hazardous Area Response Team where I wore ridiculous amounts of PPE and delivering medical care, whether at height or in bonkers Chemical protection suits, dexterity was certainly a challenge but training was key. I am not saying this situation may have been any different and I am sure the poor guys colleagues did everything. Haemostatic gauze can stop major bleeds rather than a pressure bandage and creating more realistic aerial rescues and more frequent refreshes help. You don't necessarily train in Emergencies every day and being prepared may just help. Its not a judgement but surely something has to be learnt from this and not just assume you may not survive..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katie at FoxMedics said:

Hi Jo. I understand your point but surely this comes down to training?! I spent 3 years with Hazardous Area Response Team where I wore ridiculous amounts of PPE and delivering medical care, whether at height or in bonkers Chemical protection suits, dexterity was certainly a challenge but training was key. I am not saying this situation may have been any different and I am sure the poor guys colleagues did everything. Haemostatic gauze can stop major bleeds rather than a pressure bandage and creating more realistic aerial rescues and more frequent refreshes help. You don't necessarily train in Emergencies every day and being prepared may just help. Its not a judgement but surely something has to be learnt from this and not just assume you may not survive..

Hi all, just to reinforce Kate's message here about the value of aerial rescue refreshers AND 'practice' in rescue techniques / methods, both the industry ICoP and industry climbing technical guide make reference to such with the Guide to Good Climbing Practice recommending, in effect, every 3 months.

(Important) "food for thought"..

Cheers, n please take care out there,

Paul