Small sideline business

tony_t3d

I've had this argument before, if what I'm carrying is not waste then no need for a licence. I'm not carrying it back to a recycling centre it's going back to my yard for resale.

I hear what your saying but having that bit of paperwork if you got stopped could save a whole load of argument and since it’s free why not!

https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

5 mins on there will sort it. Tier 1 for green waste 

To create a paper trail. To help stop fly tipping. Like I say worth having as if you get stopped without one you can get fined.
go here
 https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

free tier 1 I think it is. That’s all you need for green waste. Takes 5 mins and free

Thanks chaps, I have never heard of such a thing. But iv never ran a business of this type I have always been employed within them so I assume it's something my employer has sorted behind the scenes..

3 hours ago, smithers1603 said:

I've had this argument before, if what I'm carrying is not waste then no need for a licence. I'm not carrying it back to a recycling centre it's going back to my yard for resale.

How about phoning them & getting an exemption? I did as I don’t carry waste.

8 hours ago, smithers1603 said:

Think of it as an Arisings Carriers Licence:  VOSA will only have your word for it that the logs are for resale when you could really be looking for a convenient layby because they're waste to you.

It's online, it's free - why not?

17 minutes ago, nepia said:

Because maybe it won't always be free, maybe one day they are going to start charging and at that stage trying to argue you don't carry waste is going to be tricky, IMO.

Virgin wood chip and logs is NOT waste, the EA accept this, hedge clippings etc, is less clear cut, but if you composting it and using the compost you probably have a pretty strong case, IMO.

I've traded for more than 20 years and never had a WCL and never had an trouble.

Think of it as an Arisings Carriers Licence:  VOSA will only have your word for it that the logs are for resale when you could really be looking for a convenient layby because they're waste to you.

I've been in business for 17 years and never had one, I was pulled by the police a few years ago for having a light out on the trailer, only time I've ever been asked to see a WCL and after a short debate with the officer we came to an agreement that it wasn't waste and I was allowed to continue on my way.
IMO having a WCL will never stop illegitimate ones amongst us fly tipping.