Serious drought of Arb workers?

Old Mill Tree Care

The ridiculous money that some companies offer has a lot to do with good guys getting out of the industry. A friend of mine who is a bloody good arb with 7 years experience, all his tickets and is very competent at large sectional fells, including time as a team leader has just moved to Cardiff and has been taken on at £10 per hour. Another friend was offered the same in Bristol. These aren't cowboy outfits either. One is Arb approved and the other is going for it. Thats joke money as far as I'm concerned considering the nature of the job. My daughter who is 18 has just started her first job in a supermarket after finishing A levels is on £8 per hour.

• Like 1

My father and brother are both time served joiners, they have always both been self employed and made a reasonable living. Just up road from my dads workshop is a joinery firm, longstanding local company, with a good few lads. I dad was shocked to discover they are all on minimum wage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skyhuck said:

My father and brother are both time served joiners, they have always both been self employed and made a reasonable living. Just up road from my dads workshop is a joinery firm, longstanding local company, with a good few lads. I dad was shocked to discover they are all on minimum wage.

Too many business owners  take advantage and pay peanuts Imo especially in certain jobs where one can learn a trade. 

The ridiculous money that some companies offer has a lot to do with good guys getting out of the industry. A friend of mine who is a bloody good arb with 7 years experience, all his tickets and is very competent at large sectional fells, including time as a team leader has just moved to Cardiff and has been taken on at £10 per hour. Another friend was offered the same in Bristol. These aren't cowboy outfits either. One is Arb approved and the other is going for it. Thats joke money as far as I'm concerned considering the nature of the job. My daughter who is 18 has just started her first job in a supermarket after finishing A levels is on £8 per hour.

Thing you got to remember is that's about 4.5k a year different, on top of that what training do you need to work in a supermarket stacking shelves.... Definitely not a few grands wert every year and over £500 a year in ppe clothing and probably the same in climbing kit. So the difference in employing a arborist to a shelf stacker would be around 7.5 thousand decide that by 232 working days is £32 a day which makes a £6 hr difference to the employer
Back of a beermat calculation I know and normally don't get involved in these wage conversions but just thought it worth throwing this into the mix.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Thing you got to remember is that's about 4.5k a year different, on top of that what training do you need to work in a supermarket stacking shelves.... Definitely not a few grands wert every year and over £500 a year in ppe clothing and probably the same in climbing kit. So the difference in employing a arborist to a shelf stacker would be around 7.5 thousand decide that by 232 working days is £32 a day which makes a £6 hr difference to the employer
Back of a beermat calculation I know and normally don't get involved in these wage conversions but just thought it worth throwing this into the mix.

some fair comments but they both have all necessary tickets including towing chipper.

some fair comments but they both have all necessary tickets including towing chipper.

Ever heard of cpd, unfortunately having the tickets is only half of it keeping them up to date and further units is the reality and the way I see it its only going to get worse with refreshing tickets especially if your in the local authority or commercial contracting sector.

19 minutes ago, Gray git said:

Ever heard of cpd, unfortunately having the tickets is only half of it keeping them up to date and further units is the reality and the way I see it its only going to get worse with refreshing tickets especially if your in the local authority or commercial contracting sector.

True. It’s still crap money giving what the job is. They can retrain as a plumber or the like and earn double that at least. 

That's true but then that's another whole issue about how the public perceive this industry against a plumber and how the rates the public is willing to pay for each trades work against the cost of doing it. Also the industry itself undervaluing itself with undercutting and some firms both big, small and unqualified working for cost.
Admittantly some companies are like the picture above with the boss taking all the cream and not putting back into the business and its staff

• Like 2