Serious drought of Arb workers?

Old Mill Tree Care

I think there has been a drought of late OldMill.. Alot of people chasing the money by goin out on their own has increased smaller firms and spread the better workers thinner than usual.. Going into utilities for winter work, getting ill,, Plus cheaper Holiday period.!!! (I forgot what the H word means myself) .. But thats generally the "word around town".

Agree with Wes too there.. Brexit is scaring younger arbs into takin as many holidays as possible,, Come back to earn a touch.. n they're off again. Add to that, the colleges may be smashing out the Pass Rate.. The younger generation, as is written,, Get a shock and a half when they leave college to do the work.. Dont think they realise.. College is calm and slower and made a tad enjoyable (We had an ace tutor in Holme Lacy, Hereford.. Pete) he made it fun.. But also got our heads round it that the industry isnt for everyone.. It is dangerous,, and it is Phsycially Demanding on the Body & Mind. Its not for everyone, But if can get through say,,, the first couple months, safely too,, with a firm you get on with.. It can be a lifeline for tear aways like I was.. But it isnt for everyone,, There are moody people out there (public, and colleagues a like) which didnt help my confidence at first.. But perseverance and determination to succeed is vital in this job.. Youth of today though..

OH MY DAYS,, AREN'T THEY LAZY SODS MOST OF EM.!!! (Im still young as age goes,, but in this job, I even got called "Old" by a younger chap last week,, Im only 30 n can still run rings round alot of em Grounding,, "Fitness & Experience speaks oodles young gun .. I see you still have lots to do there & drag,, Well as ive finishd mine & cut & chipped,, I'll help you now" (cheeky lil bug, I thought, but didnt say) .. It took me back a bit being called "old".. Though I helped half him do the rest of his tree (Half of a fairly average size couple of domestic trees (small leylandii, self sown ash dismantle, couple bush shape ups, and think was ivy to be cut flush to the house out the front,, not much really was it) in a garden with a fairly short, 30odd foot, straight drag, to the front) He called in nxt morning sayin hes wiped out n cant get outta bed.. (He was crawling into the truck end of the day, n we could see he enjoyed the day with us), He wouldnt stop calling his parents and mates telling them what he done etc etc,, he just wasnt fit enough yet.. (I woulda kept him on for at least a week or two & praised him which he did deserve too) .. as he actually Listend 1st time,, Most the time, put the effort in,, Would tell us all what he comfortable with & not (Fair as, that is in my book,, We've all seen or met "Jack the lad".. "I can do everything".. But hasn't even got saw control yet n doesn't listen to experience nor common sense) .. But this lad in mind,, Enjoyed the banter with the "older half of the team", held his own with it & would start his own off too (if we could hear him), held a fairly rare, but appreciated high standrd of politeness to us & the customer .. It Was a shame he wasn't prepared for "Expected Pace" (Which to most of us is a snails one on the ground),, Was a shame he was the "Quitting type" .. He'd done the training,, not cheap is it,, passed obviously,, And found a crew he gelled with (another plus),, To then say "This works too hard for me,, Im going back to my old job,, Thanks for everything though, I did enjoy my day" .. (Singular) Was a nice lad too,, Nice customers for a day on one site,, On a sunny, Easy day.. He chose to jack it all in.!!.

Either his parents are well off.. or he is, to go waste that kinda money for training and assessment, or he just wasnt prepared for it at all. They do come n go like that at times though these young ones.. n is a shame to see the better ones quit.. But hey ho.. NEXT.!!!

Anywhere near me? I'm in Snowdonia.

There is actually.. But in 13yrs since the offer has been thrown out,, No ones silly enough nor mad enough to take it.. (Not even me in my "go Crazy,, do Anything days") .. Fancy lookin after Snowdonia National Park on your own for Peanuts.?? It is an actual vacancy for it, But is a Suicide Job,, and offer from a Big Named Bloke in this game I personally cannot stand. He got me fresh outta college (he loves them), promised the world, including further tickets,, doesn't do anything he promises,, and even changes your contract to suit himself, as well as taking bonuses he added, away, for the other crew not turning in that week, bcoz he signed half the team off for holidays, while the manager signed off the other two.. Only left myself & our team leader in for that week.. same week he saved the years Bookings Of BIG Tree Take Downs.. How Simon J, Myself & our manager managed to do that full week I dont know.. But we did.. And the Owner HELD OUR BONUSES.! .. If memory serves me well.. And it generally does with things like that,, I was supposed to get 8% while Simon was due 16-18%.. of the weeks total earnings.. (Mine would of been in the region of just under £13,800odd before tax) .. Plus Simons,, Plus the Manager J'z... for being the only 3x that turned up, early, put effort in, with no hick ups or any damage,, blah blah blah,, We couldn't believe it when the owner refused.!! Back then that would of been me Driving + More tickets,, & a well earned weekend break,, 2.5yrs I worked for that crook.. And hes still trading.. Still doin the same to others I hear.. But he the worst boss ive ever had to date,, Who now only comes to London Once a week, coz a family member threatend him over it.. 13yrs later,, I can honestly say,, I dont miss that boss one little bit.!!

Another reason a tonne of young ones quit fairly rapid .. = .. BAD BOSSES like him.!!

How much are you willing to Pay or did you pay Subbies that day though Stefan.??

No,, No excuse to sleep on the job.. Let alone what it looks like on your firms name to customers & public.. No excuses for it.. We let a guy go for the samething.. Bad attitude & Found him asleep in the truck when I was on the phone to the boss of the firm, askin why we haven't planted enuff Street trees yet .. We knew the reason.. But wont post it.. But it was bad one.

"Laterz dude.!! Dont come back.!!"

• Like 1

On 16.11.2017 at 23:59, Tommysauce1991 said:

Just after some general info regarding work etc in the Arb industry. 

Im coming out of the Paras after 8 years soon to be doing a fast track course in Arb/Tree Surgery (I’ll get majority of my tickets through that; minus a few), been climbing for years so I think I’ll take to that side of the job reasonably quickly  just wondering what the score is with taking blokes on and if anyone has any advice for me? 

cheers

Hello

There is a hell of alot of threads answering questions just like yours above.If you do a search you will get loads of answers pretty much covering all you will need to know.Best of luck with your new change of direction and keep us informed on how you are doing.

On 16/11/2017 at 22:59, Tommysauce1991 said:

Just after some general info regarding work etc in the Arb industry. 

Im coming out of the Paras after 8 years soon to be doing a fast track course in Arb/Tree Surgery (I’ll get majority of my tickets through that; minus a few), been climbing for years so I think I’ll take to that side of the job reasonably quickly  just wondering what the score is with taking blokes on and if anyone has any advice for me? 

cheers

Yup Tommy - it will be a totally different game to what you have been used to - plus in Arb , general self initiative is demanded , no waiting fr orders to be shouted , yr fitness will carry you a long way but getting the right employer will be the hardest part , K

• Like 1