Serious drought of Arb workers?

Old Mill Tree Care

8 hours ago, departed said:

Before tax. Two kids. Mortgage of about £500 a month. Be as nosy as you like pal!
It's a struggle but I love the job , and where we live, and honestly don't think I could do anything else.

There aren't many people hiring up here and my employer knows this. Almost has an attitude of 'where else are you going to go?'

Ok, thanks for the response, I’m guessing you live in Scotland.

• Like 1

the answer of no use to you would be to pay over the odds and accept less profit.

I have no problem at all with paying people what they’re worth.
If they’re useless they don’t get paid.
If they’re brilliant they get paid what they’re worth.
I expect to earn a decent living and if someone is willing to work well and not damage my kit and reputation then they should earn a decent living too.
Simple really.
  • Like 7

I think wages are improving. I noticed that when i was willing and able to afford to pay above average wages, my standard of worker improved greatly. I think 150-200 a day for a free lance climber is a great wage, considering that its competition that strangles a business being able to afford more. Contrary to popular believe its not bosses being greedy. There is no fat left in the arb market.

On 14/11/2017 at 11:24, Old Mill Tree Care said:

Is there a serious lack of people who need a job?

I’ve been advertising for ages and had only two applicants. One was too far away and the other was too lazy.

I’m wondering if this is a general trend at the moment.

I’m looking for a groundie and a climber, could be groundie/climber. Could also be full time or free-lance.

Its a problem Al, employees come in two mindsets and two wage structures The mindset of the employed and the mindset of the self employed, what we are always hoping for is the mindset of a self employed person on the wage of someone on the cards. Not many of them around and as the older lads drop out there seems to be a shortage of lads/ladesses filling their boots.

Bob

• Like 1

Its a problem Al, employees come in two mindsets and two wage structures The mindset of the employed and the mindset of the self employed, what we are always hoping for is the mindset of a self employed person on the wage of someone on the cards. Not many of them around and as the older lads drop out there seems to be a shortage of lads/ladesses filling their boots.

Bob

Actually Bob I was hoping for someone with the mindset of self-employed on the wage of a volunteer! Bwahaha!

Only joking of course. The person with the correct attitude will earn a decent wage. Simple.

Just after some general info regarding work etc in the Arb industry. 

Im coming out of the Paras after 8 years soon to be doing a fast track course in Arb/Tree Surgery (I’ll get majority of my tickets through that; minus a few), been climbing for years so I think I’ll take to that side of the job reasonably quickly  just wondering what the score is with taking blokes on and if anyone has any advice for me? 

cheers

Edited by Tommysauce1991
More information in post and fix some spelling mistakes