Favourite walks

Woodworks

Just been out walking on Dartmoor and it got me thinking that we could do with a thread for great walks big or small. 

One of our favourite holiday destinations is Snowdonia. Been up Snowdon a few times but just love Tryfan and the Glyders. We camp near the base of Tryfan and start with a sedate walk along the road past lake Ogwen. At the west end of the lake you take the track up onto lake Idwal which is very photogenic and often swarming in photographers.  Follow the path around the east side of the lake you climb up to Devils Kitchen and then onto the ridge or the Glyders. Then following the ridge of the Glyders which can have breathtaking views to north and south until the Glyder Fach. Then onto Tryfan itself which is small in mountain terms but good and rugged. Then back to the tent.

DSC01391.jpg

DSC06279.jpg

DSC06183.jpg

DSC06190.jpg

DSC06197.jpg

DSC06200.jpg

DSC06276.jpg

DSC01406.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

When I stayed in Yorkshire ( a small village called Carperby )  there was a great walk up the hill behind the house or down the hill in front of the house to Asgarth  falls . Being a Sussex man though the South Downs Way is good . 

12 minutes ago, TIMON said:

Mumbles Head to Brandy Cove on the Gower Peninsular

That takes me back, how about the other way from Three cliffs to Caswell bay Hotel for a pint of guiness?  Last time I did that over 40 years ago my mate couldn't keep up so I went ahead to buy the beer, he was so slow I had to drink both as it reached midday chucking out time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Woodworks said:

At the west end of the lake you take the track up onto lake Idwal which is very photogenic and often swarming in photographers.  Follow the path around the east side of the lake you climb up to Devils Kitchen and then onto the ridge or the Glyders. Then following the ridge of the Glyders which can have breathtaking views to north and south until the Glyder Fach. Then onto Tryfan itself which is small in mountain terms but good and rugged.

If you turn right at the top of Devil's Kitchen you ascend Y Garn from where you can watch the jets banking beneath you as the follow the A5.

Tryfan is too rugged for my 4 legged mate, here he waits just below the summit after a direct ascent from the west.

tryfan.thumb.jpeg.9ed1250619521b807e147d02b9147dd9.jpeg

A good walk is around the electric mountain, from the parking at Talywaen then up around Marchlyn Mawr, which is the largely artificial but natural looking top reservoir for the pumped storage scheme.

Again you can see the RAF practising  along the Ogwen valley below you as it is also adjacent to Y Garn.

I quite like industrial archaeology and there's another pumped storage scheme nearby at Festiniog, Llyn Stwlan, which I think took power from the closed trawsfynedd nuclear plant. You can do a circular walk through the old slate works and buildings as well as feel the blast of cool air coming through the mine entrance. This was featured in a recent Bear Grylls episode I think,. One of the slate inclines is tunnelled through the ridge which you can look through to the sky.

• Like 1